Curves Filter

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Gil

Curves Filter

Post by Gil »

I imagine this subject gets revisited from time to time but I would like to use a "curves" filter with XnView in Ubuntu Linux. I've spent an hour or so searching the internet for possibilities of curves plug-ins to use, all I can find is a reference to "Smart Curves" on this XnView forum page
http://forum.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f ... dae#p85335 .
The page gives links to two webpages for downloading Smart Curves. These pages don't seem to exist anymore. Is there anywhere else to find the Smart Curves plug-in for Linux, or is there any kind of curves plug-in that I can use in XnView in the Linux OS?

Thanks,
Gil
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Curves Filter

Post by cday »

The SmartCurves plugin is still readily avaiable from multiple sources if you Google 'smartcurve plugin', but only as a Windows Adobe 8BF plugin as far as I can see:

Softpedia Download

Curves Adjustment for Photoshop Elements

Was it ever available for Linux :?:
Gil

Post by Gil »

I don't know if Smart Curves was available for Linux. I guess my ultimate question is -- is there a plug-in for Curves that will work in the Linux version of XnView?
Gil

Post by Gil »

Regarding my above question, I've all but given up on finding the Smart Curves filter mentioned. However, the XnView MP version (the latest one) I'm using in Ubuntu Linux doesn't seem to have an option for Adobe Photoshop Filters in the filter drop down menu. Am I missing something? Also is there a good source for any Adobe Photoshop filters for linux users?

I've used Digikam a lot and have UFRaw but I like XnView a lot because it seems to retain my Pentax camera settings with raw files while the other two programs don't. I take pictures for a non-profit organization on a regular basis and I'd like to be able to turn them around fast -- being able to just touch-up the images based on my camera's settings is much more helpful than having to kind of edit the images "from scratch" with the other programs.

Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Gil wrote:... the XnView MP version (the latest one) I'm using in Ubuntu Linux doesn't seem to have an option for Adobe Photoshop Filters in the filter drop down menu. Am I missing something? Also is there a good source for any Adobe Photoshop filters for linux users?
As far as I can see from a Google search -- an excellent tool for researching computing topics as well as almost any other subject -- 8BF filters seem to be specific to Windows.

Your only option would therefore seem to be to run the Windows version of XnViewMP under WINE, if that is any help...
Gil

Post by Gil »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've run the Pentax raw processor by Silky Pix under Wine on by laptop and it's very balky-- slow to process and crashes. I'll probably just stick to the Ubuntu version of XnView on the laptop.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »