Recommended File-Rename-Tools?

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

Recommended File-Rename-Tools?

Post by Peter2 »

Hello

I'm looking for a handy, small, perfect, stand-alone "only rename", "one-exe-file", "network-path-stored", free, clean, (optional: in german language).... file-rename-tool for Windows XP.

I know
  • Xnview (not stand-alone in the meaning of renaming)
  • Total Commander
I found Who can recommend a tool?
("use Google" is not the kind of recommendation I am looking for :wink: )

Thanks

Peter
Last edited by Peter2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Recommended File-Rename-Tools?

Post by Dreamer »

Total Commander is not enough for you? Or it's not free, that's the problem?

Then you could try FreeCommander (free also for commercial use), it has very similar multi rename features than TC + (I'm not sure if TC has these too) mp3 tag and exif options, for example:

[mp3artist] [mp3title] [mp3bitrate] [exif_title] [exif_taken] [exif_camera] [exif_cmodel]...

It has also the profiles, toolbar button with profiles, so all you need to do is just select the files, click the button [v] and select the profile.

Hint to activate the quick view in multi rename dialog, it's a bit hidden, you can toggle it only with the keyboard shortcut - Ctrl+Q. :wink:
Dreamer
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=54836#p54836]Misc Ideas[/url]) wrote:
foxyshadis wrote:I find working with file lists as text files to be an incredibly powerful paradigm. I have no idea why it's not more common, I'm stuck with a buggy tool (Oscar's Renamer) for everything I do.
Ditto. I use (and recommend) these freeware utilities:
  • Scarabée Software: Siren
    Siren renames, moves, and copies files using an expression. A lot of information associated to a file can be used: name, extension, dates, selection number... Other information is extracted from it according to its type: audio, video, image (standard and raw), exif, iptc, office document, pdf, html, executable, dv avi, karaoke, torrent, and url. Many different operations can be performed on character strings. A complete directory tree can be processed. Images can be viewed. For example, to change a file name to uppercase with the mp3 extension, the expression can be: %ub.mp3. Languages: English and French.
  • Kjetil L. Nygård: Chgname
    Chgname is a fast, comprehensive and very flexible file management tool, which changes the file NAMES, all -DATES, all -TIMES and -ATTRIBUTES. The main task for Chgname is to enumerate large number of files with similar names (like name001.ext, name002.ext). Chgname also changes CHARACTER CASE of file names for easy transportation between operating systems. Further, Chgname shows a preview of all the changes. Chgname is made very flexible by a wildcard system and many other options for composing file names. In addition lists of filenames may be edited like text files for fast and efficient editing for all kinds of filenames. Chgname even has the capacity to set all file date- and time stamps progressivly (created, modified, accessed). Files are imported into a file list through an open dialogue box, drag-and-drop form the Explorer, through a search function which includes searching through subdirectories or through the command-line. Command-line parameters provide the means for full automation. The files are either moved into one directory, left where they are or copied into one single directory. Chgname is ideal for everyone who have demanding tasks which includes keeping order in large number of for example data files.
  • Jim Willsher: Bulk Rename Utility
    Bulk Rename Utility is a utility which allows you to easily rename files and directories, based upon extemely flexible criteria. Add date-stamps, replace numbers, insert strings, convert case, add auto-numbers, process folders and subfolders....plus loads more!
  • Daniel Groß: SpeedRenamer
    Ein Programm um schnell viele Dateien umzubenennen. Das Prinzip beruht darauf, daß die Dateinamen in einem Notepad dargestellt werden. Das bietet viele Möglichkeiten bequem Änderungen an den Dateinamen vorzunehmen. Sind alle Änderungen ausgeführt, genügt ein Klick und alle Dateien werden umbenannt. Außer den Notepad-typischen Funktionen, wie Kopieren, Einfügen, Suchen und Ersetzen stehen noch jede Menge Sonderfunktionen zu Verfügung.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Dreamer wrote:Total Commander is not enough for you? Or it's not free, that's the problem?
"Not free" is not the main problem.
TC is too big for my plans - I need a "only rename", "one-exe-file", "network-path-stored" solution. (I added it now to the first posting.)
Peter
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Perhaps it will be a good idea to make a stand alone rename tools (from xnview rename dialog)?
Pierre.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

xnview wrote:...to make a stand alone rename tools (from xnview rename dialog)?
You mean a "spin-off", made by you?

Peter
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

2 utility i've used and can recommend :
I still haven't found the perfect one though.
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

There are 2 renaming tools I use regularly (well... 3 as of a few months ago, when I discovered that freecommander has a built in renaming function): Easy Rename and Lupas Renamer, both are freeware.
As the name implies, easyrename is a simple & straight-forward tool. It's easy to use, but it's abilities are somewhat limitied.
Lupas renamer is more advanced. It's still easy to use & not too large a prog, but it can do things like replacing just parts of a name, and easily undo all the name changes. (It puts a text record of the changes in the folder, so as long as you don't delete that record, you can undo the change months or even years later.)
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

xnview wrote:Perhaps it will be a good idea to make a stand alone rename tools (from xnview rename dialog)?
Reads useful to me. Some linux ones are antiquated. Sections from larger programs could be better than what is available there.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

marsh wrote:
xnview wrote:Perhaps it will be a good idea to make a stand alone rename tools (from xnview rename dialog)?
Reads useful to me...
Why waste time with something what already exists, works and it's from Pierre?

I think there are more important things to do, finish MP version, create Android version, perhaps iOS version.
Dreamer
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Dreamer wrote:
marsh wrote:
Reads useful to me...
Why waste time with something what already exists, works and it's from Pierre?

I think there are more important things to do, finish MP version, create Android version, perhaps iOS version.
I'm not sure some tools really exist outside windows or in cross-platform form (where to me, there is still ground to be broken while a 'do everything' solution grows).
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

marsh wrote:I'm not sure some tools really exist outside windows or in cross-platform form
Do you mean "batch rename"? What about XnView MP for Windows, Linux, Mac?

I miss any (auto or manual) face-tagging feature in XnView, I miss XnView for Android, so why doing stand alone tools for features that already exist as part of XnView MP?
Dreamer
lian

Post by lian »

SF, illustrations et mes BD sur mon blog: https://www.li-an.fr/
Windows 10 Home 64 bits
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Dreamer wrote:... "batch rename"? What about XnView MP for Windows, Linux, Mac?
...I miss any (auto or manual) face-tagging feature in XnView, I miss XnView for Android, so why doing stand alone tools for features that already exist as part of XnView MP?
Hello,
Right, XnViewMP is also a good tool (and user friendly tool) for batch renaming (with this embedded functionality) ... I miss XnView for Android too ;-)

A Step by step sample (in French):
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 11#p111011
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

There are many freeware renaming tools with quite varied functions and interfaces, as the above posts show.

Ant Renamer mentioned in lian's post is a stand-alone exe that might be worth looking at (the rename preview is rather inconspicuous at lower left).

Another standalone exe utility not mentioned above is 1-4a Rename (two operating modes and a good preview, but the interface can sometimes be rather puzzling).

It really depends on exactly what you want to do, I think.