Corrupted photos scanner

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Harry

Corrupted photos scanner

Post by Harry »

Hello!

First I have to introduce myself. My name is Nicolas and I'm french so excuse my bad english . I'm not a profesionnal but since I was a boy, I have ever made photos. I have thousands of photos in my old hard drive disc (80GB, 1999), most of them are digital but some are scanned photos of original damaged photos rebuilt by Photoshop.

Two days ago, I have seen some photos damaged in a similar way of these photos and I ask your help. I want to know if you know a program who scan the jpeg-header to know if the file is corrupt like the JFV utility.

Thanks for your help.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Harry :-)

I assume you're already aware of JPEGsnoop.

Have you tried IdentifyTruncatedJpeg by Marco Schmidt? It's a “Java command line program to identify truncated JPEG files (cause: incomplete downloads, partial recovery)”.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'm trying it.
I will give you a feedback when I have results.
Harry

Post by Harry »

It works well. Now I have to edit these photos, some are too damaged to keep them but some are a little damaged but not graphicaly. I will edit those ones with XnView with resizing@100% and quality@95% to keep original size and good quality. Thanks a lot for helping me.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Corrupted photos scanner

Post by XnTriq »

Coder's Lagoon wrote:Bad Peggy is my latest Windows application. It searches for damaged JPEG files and will validate and verify pictures for truncation and other blemishes which sometimes occur when such files are getting downloaded or restored from bad backups.

It's quite useful for example to check if your precious photo library is still all intact (mine unexpectedly wasn't) and it's fast, comfortable to use and reliable in the analysis it does. Runs under Windows XP, 2000 and 98SE. Please notice that you might have to download the .NET Framework 2.0 if it hasn't been installed on your system so far.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Marc Rochkind: ImageVerifier
Verify active or archived images structurally (JPEG, raw, DNG, PSD, TIFF) and by stored 512-bit hash. Ensures that backups are correct and that archives are still valid. Stores results in a built-in database. Goes inside image formats and decompresses to determine integrity of image. Takes advantage of multiple CPUs/cores.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thank you !
Now, I have an other (not a problem) challenge: find a program to find corrupt photos on Linux ! (I guess ImageVerifier will work with WINE =D)
I have dropped windowsa few months ago and Linux is so better than windows to me...
So thank you again !
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Harry wrote:Now, I have an other (not a problem) challenge: find a program to find corrupt photos on Linux ! (I guess ImageVerifier will work with WINE =D)!
Challenge accepted :P

IdentifyTruncatedJpeg should also run on Linux, since it is written in Java.
Lemkesoft (SnapsCleaner » [url=http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/187/key-features.html]Key features[/url]) wrote:SnapsCleaner increases the process reliability of your workflow by quickly and reliably checking the JPEG picture files for embedded metadata and simply deleting all incorrect items. In addition, SnapsCleaner checks the general integrity and validity of each JPEG file (correct number of bytes, correct data stream, decompression test).

The following versions are available:
  • Macintosh-Version for Mac OS 9.X and Mac OS X
  • Windows-Version for WIN 2000 and WIN XP
  • Please contact us if you are interested in Linux porting or the development of a command line version
Jason Hudgins ([url=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.incantations.net/~jason/software/]Free Open Source Software[/url]) wrote:Image::TestJPG : CPAN
This is a small perl library with a single method that will tell you if a jpeg image is corrupt or not. It uses libjpeg to parse the image data and will simply return true or false. If you have a gazillion images and you need a perl script to detect all the ones with errors, then this lib is exactly what you need.
DrSpud ([url=http://drspud.no-ip.com/]Projects and interests[/url] » Simple JPEG Check) wrote: Does a quick check for JPEG/JPEG2000 header and footer bytes in files to verify JPEG file format and detect truncated files. You can run it from the command-line, or just drag & drop files/folders onto the exe. This tool was originally designed to detect partially downloaded pictures, and is exceedingly useful for checking thousands of files at once to identify bad JPEG files. It won't, however, detect problems with the actual JPEG data (like random corruption in the middle of files), just the very beginning and very end. Runs on Linux and Windows.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow ! :shock:
Do not say to me you have found these programs alone searching in the entire internet ! You're very good !
I'm curious, what keywords did you use to find them ?
Well thanks a lot !!! I will need your help in a few month if you don't disagree because a fan of photography gave me a jewel (for me !!!, he thinks it's trash now): a Canon T90 and a 55/250 but he have two, maybe three little (big?) problems... but now I'm in Canada for a year. When I will return to home (France), I hope you will be able to help me :D

Thank you again and again for your help and see you later !
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Harry wrote:I have dropped windowsa few months ago and Linux is so better than windows to me...
FYI: You don't have to say au revoir to XnView, just because you're a Linux user now. Pierre is working on a very promising multi-platform edition, which will eventually have all the features of the “classic” Windows version.
Harry wrote:Do not say to me you have found these programs alone searching in the entire internet !
I'd like to take credit for it, but it's actually Almighty Google doing all the heavy lifting for me.
Harry wrote:I'm curious, what keywords did you use to find them ?
Harry wrote:When I will return to home (France), I hope you will be able to help me :D
Bring it on ;-)
Harry wrote:Thank you again and again for your help and see you later !
No big deal. I hope you'll enjoy your time in Canada, Harry. Don't forget to drop by once in a while to give us your opinion & ideas regarding XnView MP.

À bientôt :-)
boredofthis

Post by boredofthis »

Solution:

I found the perfect tool for what I needed:

http://www.thomasbarker.co.uk/2011/05/2 ... age-files/

Searches recursively through a directory and finds any corrupted JPEGS. Looks like you can use as many CPUs as you like to do it also.

Worked for me.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

boredofthis wrote:Solution:

I found the perfect tool for what I needed:

http://www.thomasbarker.co.uk/2011/05/2 ... age-files/

Searches recursively through a directory and finds any corrupted JPEGS. Looks like you can use as many CPUs as you like to do it also.

Worked for me.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

... Or via a Linux command line in the terminal (recursive) for linux users:

With jpeginfo:

Code: Select all

find . -iname "*.jpg" -print0 | xargs -0 jpeginfo -c -i -v | grep -e WARNING -e ERROR

ex:...
./001.jpg 1795 x 1165 32bit Exif  Normal Huffman,304dpi 5598768  Unsupported color conversion request  [ERROR]
./002.jpg 1795 x 1165 32bit Exif  Normal Huffman 2206202  Unsupported color conversion request  [ERROR]
./003.JPG 2592 x 1944 24bit Exif  Normal Huffman 1338673  Corrupt JPEG data: 5 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd4  [WARNING]
./004.jpg 2592 x 1944 24bit Exif  Normal Huffman 1329907  Corrupt JPEG data: 41 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd4  [WARNING]
./005.JPG 1795 x 1165 32bit Exif  Normal Huffman 2206228  Unsupported color conversion request  [ERROR]
./aaa/006.jpg 2592 x 1944 24bit Exif  Normal Huffman  739930  Premature end of JPEG file  [WARNING]
./bbb/007.jpg  Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x50 0x61  [ERROR]
./007.jpg  Empty input file  [ERROR]
./008.jpg  Unsupported JPEG process: SOF type 0xc3  [ERROR]
With jhove:

find . -iname "*.jpg" -print0 | xargs -0 jhove -m JPEG-hul | grep -e "RepresentationInformation:" -e "Not well-formed" -e "Well-Formed, but not valid"
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Open Preservation Foundation: Error detection of JPEG files with JHOVE and Bad Peggy (29/Nov/2016)