XnView crashes whenever I view an image

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ambolic

Post by ambolic »

Apparently, i ve got the same issue on 1.82.4, win xp sp2 .

Xnview crash when i open large jpg from explorer.
It occurs when at least one .nef file ( raw from my nikon Slr ) are in the same folder. The cache and read ahead option are disabled.

Also, Xnview crash exactly the same way when i open the nef files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ambolic wrote:Apparently, i ve got the same issue on 1.82.4, win xp sp2 .

Xnview crash when i open large jpg from explorer.
It occurs when at least one .nef file ( raw from my nikon Slr ) are in the same folder. The cache and read ahead option are disabled.

Also, Xnview crash exactly the same way when i open the nef files.
Could you try with files not raw??
Pierre.

NEF crash

Post by Guest »

I can confirm that XnView crashes on NEF files (Nikon D80 raw files)
As soon as I click "next" button in XnView and browser tries to open NEF file, it cashes.

I use XnView 1.90 beta 6
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: NEF crash

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:I can confirm that XnView crashes on NEF files (Nikon D80 raw files)
As soon as I click "next" button in XnView and browser tries to open NEF file, it cashes.

I use XnView 1.90 beta 6
Please wait the 1.90 RC1
Pierre.
Jozsef

Re: Several tests I have made...

Post by Jozsef »

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote: Option/View/File list/Cache
You are right! By disabling this option, XnView does not crash anymore on my PC... I suppose this will help you to solve the problem in further releases.

Regards,

Jean-Claude
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Several tests I have made...

Post by xnview »

Jozsef wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote: Option/View/File list/Cache
You are right! By disabling this option, XnView does not crash anymore on my PC... I suppose this will help you to solve the problem in further releases.

Regards,

Jean-Claude
Do you have always the problem with 1.90?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

hope suitable to revive topic for this. might be same thing:

win xp sp2, having settings read one ahead and keep current in cache makes xnview (1.90+) crash on exit after having opened a file by doubleclicking in windows explorer.

it doesn't matter what kind of image or how many files there are in folder seemingly. this happens consequently for me. (even with general image (folder-?) caching turned off.

I can turn cache ahead and keep current on and off to enable and disable this bug.. actually it's not a crash but xnview freezes right after clearing the workarea at which I guess it's supposed to clear the cache and close?
it freezes before it writes to ini.
I believe the freeze is momentary for small images or low content folders but oftenly I have to wait so long that I don't feel like checking if it will close anytime soon :)

I can give you program dir zipped and saved .reg files or something or try some stuff to help reproduce this for you, really like this viewer :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:hope suitable to revive topic for this. might be same thing:

win xp sp2, having settings read one ahead and keep current in cache makes xnview (1.90+) crash on exit after having opened a file by doubleclicking in windows explorer.

it doesn't matter what kind of image or how many files there are in folder seemingly. this happens consequently for me. (even with general image (folder-?) caching turned off.

I can turn cache ahead and keep current on and off to enable and disable this bug.. actually it's not a crash but xnview freezes right after clearing the workarea at which I guess it's supposed to clear the cache and close?
it freezes before it writes to ini.
I believe the freeze is momentary for small images or low content folders but oftenly I have to wait so long that I don't feel like checking if it will close anytime soon :)

I can give you program dir zipped and saved .reg files or something or try some stuff to help reproduce this for you, really like this viewer :)
You can reproduce it always??? So yes, please send me your folder
Pierre.
nim

Post by nim »

>>zipped here<<
couldn't find anything which seemed vital in C:\ user folders or registry but if it doesn't happen for you I'll upload what's needed.
cheers!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

If you have only 'Read ahead', you have this freeze? On all folders?
Pierre.
nim

Post by nim »

EDIT: oh so that's why x-\)

I just wrote that the problem doesn't seem to lie in those settings but seems to be a finite freeze which always happens first time xnview needs to know the next (or previous) image.
(so 'read ahead' on would trigger this freeze at startup as it needs to know of next directly while if it's off the freeze will happen at first skip (prev/next))

but now I realise it only happened because I had 'sort by type' on.
when I have sort by name there are no freezes no matter the 'read ahead' and/or 'keep current' settings. sorry for the confusion.
I hadn't noticed xnview now uses same sorting mode in browser and viewer.

I do understand that sorting by type gives xnview the need to generate a full list of the folder contents while on other sorting modes it may not have to.

odd thing though is that this freeze is still like a good 10 seconds in a folder with only 10 images (and nothing else) when sort by type is on.
(in a folder with like 2000 images it takes like 10 minutes)

anyways I feel sorry now to not have been around when the unified or separate sorting of browser and viewer was discussed.
I'm not computer-daft in any way :P and I strongly feel there should be an option to activate separate sorting modes for browser and viewer.
I don't want to have to remember to always set the browser sorting mode of some arbitrary browsing session to what I expect I'll want as default next time I launch the viewer.

and even if you have a unified sorting mode, shouldn't the sorting mode be accessible either under menu bar>view or in right-click menu in viewer?

oh, and would it be possible to have the viewer set sorting mode after the current sorting mode in the explorer window where the image was double-clicked? seems far-fetched but if it were possible at all it would rock :) (ofcourse also as an on/off option)

thanks alot
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

nim wrote: odd thing though is that this freeze is still like a good 10 seconds in a folder with only 10 images (and nothing else) when sort by type is on.
(in a folder with like 2000 images it takes like 10 minutes)
In your folder, which file type do you have? Only jpeg?
Pierre.