Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnView-User

Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by XnView-User »

Hi, I’m a longtime user and big fan of XnView Classic. The development of the newer XnView MP I’m constantly observing but stick for the time being to the, in my opinion more mature XnView Classic.

One thing that I find a bit annoying is that…

XnView Classic and XnView MP in their current versions are still not suitable for simple slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos).

XnView Classic can’t play *.mts und *.mp4 video files at all and doesn’t even display their thumbnails.

XnView MP is at least capable of displaying those thumbnails but is almost as useless for a playback of *.mts und *.mp4 videos. Yes, XnView MP can theoretically play these video files, in contrary to XnView Classic, but only jerky, choppy and with the audio sound also choppy and pretty much distorted.

It would be great if these issues could be resolved, some time.

Greetings to Pierre
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:22 pm XnView Classic can’t play *.mts und *.mp4 video files at all and doesn’t even display their thumbnails.
XnView Classic use installed codecs, so you can try to install klite codec pack
XnView MP is at least capable of displaying those thumbnails but is almost as useless for a playback of *.mts und *.mp4 videos. Yes, XnView MP can theoretically play these video files, in contrary to XnView Classic, but only jerky, choppy and with the audio sound also choppy and pretty much distorted.
could you send me a sample file to test?
Pierre.
XnView-User

Re: Playback of video files and slideshows with mixed content (photos and videos)

Post by XnView-User »

A missing codec can’t be the problem because slideshows with mixed content work fine with "Windows Media Player"!

And; It’s generally discouraged by experts to install such so-called "codec packs" on your computer. You can check this in Google very fast.

“Codec Packs” bring more problems and risks than benefits!!

If some video doesn’t play on your PC one should better use a decent player like VLC instead of installing risky Codec-Packs that might mess up your whole system.
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am A missing codec can’t be the problem because slideshows with mixed content work fine with "Windows Media Player"!
not all the same codec..
And; It’s generally discouraged by experts to install such so-called "codec packs" on your computer. You can check this in Google very fast.
XnView MP can be used without installing extra codecs
Pierre.