Page 1 of 1

Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:05 am
by jens116
If I scan a gray-scale picture (8 bit) with TWAIN and then tell XnView to save it, a menu opens to convert the color mode of the picture - by default into 24 bit color. For me this convertion menu should not be standard because it is unnecessary. It gets on my nerves after every scan. The color mode I select with TWAIN should be the color mode I want to save the picture. If not one can convert it manually.

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:02 am
by xnview
jens116 wrote:If I scan a gray-scale picture (8 bit) with TWAIN and then tell XnView to save it, a menu opens to convert the color mode of the picture - by default into 24 bit color. For me this convertion menu should not be standard because it is unnecessary. It gets on my nerves after every scan. The color mode I select with TWAIN should be the color mode I want to save the picture. If not one can convert it manually.
Which format do you use?

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:18 pm
by Guest
xnview wrote:Which format do you use?
Sorry, I didn't mention it. The Format was JPEG.

XnView: 1.801
Windows: 98 SE

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:49 pm
by xnview
Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:Which format do you use?
Sorry, I didn't mention it. The Format was JPEG.
So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:49 am
by jens116
xnview wrote:So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...
No, I don't think so, because after the picture is imported from TWAIN the statusbar of XnView showes 256 colors. That means that XnView knows that this is a grey picture. Besides that the convert color window opens automatically only if grey pictures were imported and not if color pictures were imported.

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:27 am
by xnview
jens116 wrote:
xnview wrote:So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...
No, I don't think so, because after the picture is imported from TWAIN the statusbar of XnView showes 256 colors. That means that XnView knows that this is a grey picture. Besides that the convert color window opens automatically only if grey pictures were imported and not if color pictures were imported.
No 256 colors means 256 colors with colormap

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:34 am
by jens116
xnview wrote:No 256 colors means 256 colors with colormap
I think you are right. May be someone else in the forum has this problems with the TWAIN Epson Scan 2.56 ?