1.74->RC6: IPTC keywords end with hidden sign

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Anika

1.74->RC6: IPTC keywords end with hidden sign

Post by Anika »

I wrote this post already at 24 May but in support forum with no reaction, so I copy it here:
I usually write my IPTC keywords with Exifer and export them to descript.ion. Now I can search with XnView quicker in the description instead of the IPTC data.
Now I tried to write IPTC data in XnView again. I did it before some weeks ago in the stable version but for this strage behaviour I gave up: After each keyword written by XnView there is a sign that is shown in Exifer and in the exported descript.ion as black rectangle. In TextPad I can't copy it to the clipboard and get the error message that text containing null signs (Code = 0) cannot be copied to the clipboard. So I can't use TextPad with search and replace to get quickly avoid of these signs. but it works with the program "InfoRapid Suchen und Ersetzen" that interpretes the sign as space.
The problem is that XnView doesn't show or search the keywords after the first null sign in the descript.ion.
I added the keywords "Menschen" and "Trampolin" to a picture that had already "Familie" and "Simon". After export in Exifer in the descript.ion is the line:
2003-04-18-0001.JPG Familie; Simon; Menschen ; Trampolin
The space after "Menschen" is the hidden sign. XnView only shows and handles:
2003-04-18-0001.JPG Familie; Simon; Menschen
The keyword "Trampolin" is completely ignored. I guess there is a problem with the sign that seperates the IPTC Keywords.
Here is the sample picture (just cropped to reduce file size) and the descript.ion:
http://www.anikahenkel.de/diverses/2003-04-18-0001.JPG
http://www.anikahenkel.de/diverses/descript.ion

Sorry that I ignored the message to wait for next RC but this problem exists already in the stable version and has never been reported.

By the way: I don't really understand what the options in the IPTC dialog in RC mean: Merge with existing values, Leave existing field if new entry is empty, Only replace existing fields that are empty. If I want to add a keyword to all images that have already different keywords they are all overwritten with the keywords of one image. The options checked or unchecked show no difference. How can I just add one keyword to all pictures but keep the existing ones? (With exifer it is possible)
Hope somebody understands my problem and has a solution for it.
Greeting,
Anika

XnView 1.80 <x>
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 1.74->RC6: IPTC keywords end with hidden sign

Post by xnview »

Anika wrote:I wrote this post already at 24 May but in support forum with no reaction, so I copy it here:
I usually write my IPTC keywords with Exifer and export them to descript.ion. Now I can search with XnView quicker in the description instead of the IPTC data.
Now I tried to write IPTC data in XnView again. I did it before some weeks ago in the stable version but for this strage behaviour I gave up: After each keyword written by XnView there is a sign that is shown in Exifer and in the exported descript.ion as black rectangle. In TextPad I can't copy it to the clipboard and get the error message that text containing null signs (Code = 0) cannot be copied to the clipboard. So I can't use TextPad with search and replace to get quickly avoid of these signs. but it works with the program "InfoRapid Suchen und Ersetzen" that interpretes the sign as space.
The problem is that XnView doesn't show or search the keywords after the first null sign in the descript.ion.
I added the keywords "Menschen" and "Trampolin" to a picture that had already "Familie" and "Simon". After export in Exifer in the descript.ion is the line:
2003-04-18-0001.JPG Familie; Simon; Menschen ; Trampolin
The space after "Menschen" is the hidden sign. XnView only shows and handles:
2003-04-18-0001.JPG Familie; Simon; Menschen
The keyword "Trampolin" is completely ignored. I guess there is a problem with the sign that seperates the IPTC Keywords.
Here is the sample picture (just cropped to reduce file size) and the descript.ion:
http://www.anikahenkel.de/diverses/2003-04-18-0001.JPG
http://www.anikahenkel.de/diverses/descript.ion

Sorry that I ignored the message to wait for next RC but this problem exists already in the stable version and has never been reported.

By the way: I don't really understand what the options in the IPTC dialog in RC mean: Merge with existing values, Leave existing field if new entry is empty, Only replace existing fields that are empty. If I want to add a keyword to all images that have already different keywords they are all overwritten with the keywords of one image. The options checked or unchecked show no difference. How can I just add one keyword to all pictures but keep the existing ones? (With exifer it is possible)
Hope somebody understands my problem and has a solution for it.
Greeting,
Anika
Ok, right. I pad field always to have a numbers even.
But it's seems to be a problem for exifer.
Someone know if IPTC fields can be odd??
Pierre.