1.98.2 "Problem with JPEG"

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xyz

1.98.2 "Problem with JPEG"

Post by xyz »

Hi!
XnView 1.98.2
When I try open Jpeg and save it with Ctrl-S, I get this error: "Problem with JPEG", and get corrupt file.
http://xyz.su/temp/xnview/xnbug.7z
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 1.98.2 "Problem with JPEG"

Post by xnview »

right, the problem is with big XMP data...
Pierre.
Farbauti

Post by Farbauti »

xnview wrote:right, the problem is with big XMP data...
And how can this be resolved?

I have problems with large pictures, too.
I use XnView 2.22 currently, and when I expand the canvas to make some (really simple) picture collages, either XnView stops responding at all, or when I'm finished and want to save the file, I get the error message from above :-(

Or is there a rule of thumb, how big a JPEG can be that it can be processed by XnView?

best regards, Farbauti.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Farbauti wrote:
xnview wrote:right, the problem is with big XMP data...
And how can this be resolved?

I have problems with large pictures, too.
I use XnView 2.22 currently, and when I expand the canvas to make some (really simple) picture collages, either XnView stops responding at all, or when I'm finished and want to save the file, I get the error message from above :-(

Or is there a rule of thumb, how big a JPEG can be that it can be processed by XnView?

best regards, Farbauti.
hum, it's not the same problem. It's a memory problem i think. Which size of pictures do you use, and which collage?
Pierre.
Farbauti

Post by Farbauti »

xnview wrote:hum, it's not the same problem. It's a memory problem i think. Which size of pictures do you use, and which collage?
I made a canvas about 10,000 x 7,000 pixels and started copy/pasting parts of other pictures in it.
I planned to shrink the canvas in the end to a manageable size, but XnView crashes after the 4th or 5th paste in. So I thought it would be a clever idea to save the (large) picture-in-progress from time to time. That's when the error occured.

FYI: XnView seems to crash, when the memory usage gets near the 1.4GB mark (shown in window's taskmanager, Win7). I think part of the memory is used by the undo-cache. Maybe an option could be added to XnView to deliberately disable the undo-functionality to save memory?

Cheers, Farbauti.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

yes it's the undo
Pierre.