Xnview showing "grey pixel grid" instead of pure white

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

andrea.ippo

Xnview showing "grey pixel grid" instead of pure white

Post by andrea.ippo »

I'm using 1.97.8, although I tried also with 1.98 beta a few days ago, and it's also affected.

The problem is this: if the high quality zoom option is enabled, white backgrounds in photos appear with a grid texture, made of grey pixels.

Here is a portion of a photo that perhaps explains it better (left - grid vs right - white):

Disabling that option solves the problem, but also gives more rough images of course.
I've checked other programs and they don't seem affected by this issue (Faststone image viewer for example, which also has a similar option, isn't affected by the issue either turning this option on or off, the windows viewer isn't affected, nor irfanview, etc).

Could you please take a look at it?

Thanks.

PS: this is the option I mean:

andrea.ippo

Re: Xnview showing "grey pixel grid" instead of pure white

Post by andrea.ippo »

No one else noticing this?
andrea.ippo

Post by andrea.ippo »

UP :)
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Sorry, but the image link you posted shows a "white on white" (ie: blank) bitmap, so it's not clear about the bug you are reporting. Could you try another link?
John
andrea.ippo

Post by andrea.ippo »

JohnFredC wrote:Sorry, but the image link you posted shows a "white on white" (ie: blank) bitmap, so it's not clear about the bug you are reporting. Could you try another link?
That's strange, because I see the left side with this "grid" and the right side of pure white :(
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

andrea.ippo wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:Sorry, but the image link you posted shows a "white on white" (ie: blank) bitmap, so it's not clear about the bug you are reporting. Could you try another link?
That's strange, because I see the left side with this "grid" and the right side of pure white :(
Appying the Normalize or Equalize filter (Image » Map) reveals a barcode-like pattern (R254/G254/B254 on pure white background) in this image.

The PNG has a private vpAg ("virtual page") chunk which is used in ImageMagick to store “virtual page” size.

See also: Some gifs changes their background when zoomed in/out
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

With your sample, i have a border on the left & right side...
Pierre.
zzeedd

Post by zzeedd »

Hey,

I would like to confirm that I see the same grey grid when looking at white images, at certain zoom levels. Disabling the "reduce option" as suggested by andrea.ippo works for me as well.

Zoltan.

PS: For those, who cannot see the grid on the image posted by andrea.ippo, if you have an LCD screen, try to look at it from the top from a really low angle.