Histogram and levels

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

vlada

Histogram and levels

Post by vlada »

Hello Pierre,

Thank you for the histogram/levels feature added in 1.82.2. But I have some more requests for it's functionality. Would it be possible to add a gray point slider, like you can find in GIMP for example?

Also I believe it would be much more useful to see the histogram not only in the "Levels" dialog, but also when adjusting contrast/gama/brightnes. For colour adjustemnt it would be also usefull to have the histogram separatly for each colour (RGB) - something like [urlhttp://www.fredmiranda.com/BB_review/MainWindow.jpg]this[/url]. I think it would be best to put the histogram in a hideable panel on right side. In the panel could also be more (for example EXIF) information displayed.

Nad last thing - I saw in a czech editor called "Zoner Photo Studio" a feature, which is signalling overburnt (to bright, I don't know the exact word) pixels. This is also a very useful feature for a photographer.

Thank you,
Vladimir
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Histogram and levels

Post by xnview »

vlada wrote:Hello Pierre,

Thank you for the histogram/levels feature added in 1.82.2. But I have some more requests for it's functionality. Would it be possible to add a gray point slider, like you can find in GIMP for example?

Also I believe it would be much more useful to see the histogram not only in the "Levels" dialog, but also when adjusting contrast/gama/brightnes. For colour adjustemnt it would be also usefull to have the histogram separatly for each colour (RGB) - something like [urlhttp://www.fredmiranda.com/BB_review/MainWindow.jpg]this[/url]. I think it would be best to put the histogram in a hideable panel on right side. In the panel could also be more (for example EXIF) information displayed.

Nad last thing - I saw in a czech editor called "Zoner Photo Studio" a feature, which is signalling overburnt (to bright, I don't know the exact word) pixels. This is also a very useful feature for a photographer.
Ok, so perhaps only one dialog for contrast/brightness/gamma AND levels??
Pierre.
vlada

Post by vlada »

Good idea, this would be a solution too.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Ok, so perhaps only one dialog for contrast/brightness/gamma AND levels??
In the Zoner editor they've done an excellent job on the adjustment dialogs with previews. Similar to Corel PaintShopPro's adjustment dialogs but better organized AND with an overlaid histogram.

PSP does have that additional (and really useful) thumbnail navigator thingie in its adjustment dialogs, though. (See my old post reviewing the PSP adjustment dialogs here.)

It seems to me that having ONE adjustment dialog with the top half like the PSP or Zoner preview portions, and the bottom half a tabbed interface into all of the adjustments available from XnView would be just the thing.

By the way, many of the ideas requested for XnView are present in some form or another in that Zoner package. For instance, the Zoner interface to multiple browsers works OK, but all browsers share one tree and one preview. Not acceptable.
John