Can not open folders on Camera connected by USB

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

RoToR

Can not open folders on Camera connected by USB

Post by RoToR »

Hi,

I connected my Kodak camera by USB to my PC with Windows 10, 64 bit.
I can open with Windows Explorer the folders and pictures on camera.
In XnView Classic I can see the same folders, but I can´t open the folder which includes the pictures.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help!
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Can not open folders on Camera connected by USB

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, RoToR.
  1. Which Kodak model do you use?
  2. Is Add XnView to applications for USB events (camera, scan, …) in ToolsOptions…System integrationIntegration activated?
  3. Is your camera listed in FileAcquire from Scanner or Camera (WIA)…?
  4. Have you tried XnViewMediaDetector.exe?

Related topics:
RoToR

Post by RoToR »

Thank you so much for your fast reply and your welcome.

Here are my answers:
  • "Which Kodak model do you use?"
-> it´s an older one, Z1012 IS
  • "Is Add XnView to applications for USB events (camera, scan, …) in Tools → Options… → System integration → Integration activated?"
-> if I open this setting menu after activation of "Inegration activated" again, the setting is lost
  • "Is your camera listed in File → Acquire from Scanner or Camera (WIA)…?"
-> yes, there is "WIA-Z1012 IS Digital Camera 1.0 (32-32)"
  • "Have you tried XnViewMediaDetector.exe?"
-> yes, but it didn´t find the cam

Thanks for the links, but I didn´t find the solution within.

Probably the cam is too old for it, but I still love and use it beside my DSLR.
I think I still have to copy the files from cam into a folder with windows explorer manually.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

RoToR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:41 am
XnTriq wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pmIs Add XnView to applications for USB events (camera, scan, …) in ToolsOptions…System integrationIntegration activated?
if I open this setting menu after activation of "Integration activated" again, the setting is lost
Same here :bugconfirmed: (tested on Windows 10 Pro 20H2 64-bit and Windows XP SP3).

RoToR wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:41 am
XnTriq wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pmWhich Kodak model do you use?
it´s an older one, Z1012 IS
According to its extended user guide, the Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS communicates with the computer through “PIMA 15740 protocol” (i.e. PTP/MTP), which is not supported by XnView (and XnView Media Detector).

The solution would be to mount the camera as an (external) drive like a card reader, but I don't know whether or not this model is USB mass storage compatible.
https://www.photography-forums.com/threads/175421/#post-1105717 wrote:It is possible to install only the Camera Connection Software. This will leave the dock/camera as another drive on your system. Easy to do, but the system works better if you have the entire program. Regardless, if you decide you want to only use the CCS, you can go to the Kodak home page and click on the Download option for EasyShare Software. When the download process starts, you are offered some options with one of them being a standard installation or a Custom install. Choose Custom. From the next screens you can choose what you want included, i.e. just the CCS program, which will let you use your dock and camera as another drive on your system.

Kodak, along with many others, went to a communication standard known as PTP or Picture Transfer Protocol. Kodak was one of the first to use this and one of the primary authors of the standard, which has been submittd to the ISO and is in the process of being adopted. There are numerous advantages to using PTP, one of which is that the new direct-to-printer standard PictBridge which runs on top of PTP. However, most OS' do not have PTP drivers in the base OS. (Windows XP and MacOS X do, everything else does not) This will require that you install a driver to communicate with the cameras.

The other standard that can be used is what is known as USB Mass Storage Device Class, or USBMSDC. This is what you desire. It makes the device appear as a removeable mass storage device on your comptuer. Support for USBMSDC is a bit broader in the native OS (I think Windows 2000 and Windows ME also have this) you still may have to install a driver to use a MSDC device. To install just the driver for Kodak cameras, run the EasyShare install disk, or go to the web and start the installation. as mentioned, and select custom install and install only "Camera Connection Software" You will not get any of the EasyShare software or the automatic transfer but your camera will be recognized by the computer and will show up in windows Explorer as a hard disk

Talk to you later, let me know if you have questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company