How to see which files were rotated

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ugcheleuce

How to see which files were rotated

Post by ugcheleuce »

Hello

I scanned a couple of hundred old photographs today, and uploaded a bunch of them to Google Drive. Then at some stage I realised that I should have rotated the images so they're all oriented correctly. I performed the rotation by opening the images in a file browser, selecting the relevant images' thumbnails, and then clicking the rotation button on the toolbar. (When you do this, XnView doesn't ask you to save the files -- it simply rotates them.) The images are now rotated, but: all files still have their original file modification dates! This means that I can't determine (by looking at the file list in Windows Explorer) which files were changed. These are PNG files, by the way. Is there a way to figure out which files were rotated?

I'm asking because I uploaded about a gigabyte's worth of these images to my Google Drive, and I'd like to replace the ones that were modified. If I can't distinguish between rotated and non-rotated files, I'm going to have to re-upload every single image again.

Thanks
Samuel
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: How to see which files were rotated

Post by XnTriq »

ugcheleuce wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pmI performed the rotation by opening the images in a file browser
In XnView's file browser?

If so, there are 3 settings which have to be taken into account:
  • ToolsOptions…GeneralFile Operations
    • Keep date/time for saving
    • For lossless operation, make a backup ¹
  • ToolsOptions…BrowserMisc.Rotation
    • Keep original date/time attributes ²
As far as I know, ¹ and ² are only relevant for ToolsJPEG Lossless transformations.
If ¹ is activated, XnView creates backup files named original.xnbak.jpg in the same directory as original.jpg.
But since you're working with PNGs, ¹ and ² won't take effect.

Could you please check if the original scans have metadata (EXIF/IPTC/XMP) or an ICC profile embedded in them?
ugcheleuce

Post by ugcheleuce »

XnTriq wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:15 pm
ugcheleuce wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pmI performed the rotation by opening the images in a file browser
In XnView's file browser?
Yes. If you double-click one of the images in a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens that image in XnView. Press Enter, and then XnView shows the XnView file browser, with thumbnails of all the files in that folder. Select the relevant images (Ctrl+click), and click the "Rotate counter clockwise" button.
  • Keep date/time for saving
This is NOT ticked.
Could you please check if the original scans have metadata (EXIF/IPTC/XMP) or an ICC profile embedded in them?
Not as far as I know, but why don't you check (see URL below). The scanner saves the files directly to PNG.

Example files:
http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/example.zip

Using XnView 2.49.1, Windows 10 non-activated, with latest updates.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ugcheleuce wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:39 pmNot as far as I know, but why don't you check (see URL below). The scanner saves the files directly to PNG.
I've inspected the before/after samples you provided with TweakPNG, hoping for a “fingerprint” of the software you used to save the original scans. I'm sorry to say that I found no metadata, color profile or any other chunk that would help us tell the original (before rotating.png) and rotated/re-encoded (after rotating.png) files apart :-|

PS: As it turns out, Keep original date/time attributes (ToolsOptions…BrowserMisc.Rotation) takes effect regardless of the file format, if a rotation command is invoked in XnView's browse mode.

PPS: Have you tried sorting the files by “last accessed” in Windows Explorer?