Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

strans2232

Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Post by strans2232 »

I am using XnView since many years. It's the best image viewer and it has also video support.
The only sad thing is, that videos taken in vertical/portrait orientation are not displayed correctly in xnview.

I took these videos with a samsung galaxy smartphone, they are in MP4 container with h.264 video stream. When i watch them in VLC they are showed in the correct orientation (portrait).

I use XNView 2.46 with ffmpeg addon and k-lite codec pack 14.5.5.
The thumbnails (coming from ffmpeg) are shown in the correct portrait orientation but the videos are all shown in landscape orientation (regardless of recording orientation).
I played around with all possible settings but nothing solved this. The MPC player coming with k-lite codec pack plays the videos in correct orientation so it seems not to be a codec issue.

I also tried XNView MP 0.92.
The video thumnails are also displayer correctly there.
The videos themselves are rotated by 180 degrees here - they are in portrait mode but upside down (for any reason..)
Besides that the current version of XNview MP has an issue with its own embedded codec causing the video to stutter at the beginning.
This issue was already discussed here in the forum.

My questions:
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView classic (Settings, Tweaks, etc.) ?
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView MP (why are they upside down) ?
- is there a fix for the video stutter issue with the XnViewMP built in codec ?

Any help is highly appreciated

BR
Andreas
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Post by xnview »

strans2232 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 pm - is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView classic (Settings, Tweaks, etc.) ?
XnView Classic use Windows API to play video & installed codec, so i'm not sure what to do...
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView MP (why are they upside down) ?
could you send me a sample file?
- is there a fix for the video stutter issue with the XnViewMP built in codec ?
You can disable thumbnails for video files (4)
Pierre.
Odd

Post by Odd »

I have the same problem; I notice that Pierre has asked for a sample file, but it looks like nobody has sent him one. I was going to attach one here in the hope that this problem (that evidently has been around for a long time) can come closer to a solution, but I got the error message that the file was too large.
What is the size limit? I can make a very short sample video and submit it if that will help.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Odd wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm I have the same problem; I notice that Pierre has asked for a sample file, but it looks like nobody has sent him one. I was going to attach one here in the hope that this problem (that evidently has been around for a long time) can come closer to a solution, but I got the error message that the file was too large.
What is the size limit? I can make a very short sample video and submit it if that will help.
The current forum attachment limit is 2 MiB, and all but a few common image file formats need to be placed in an archive such as ZIP so that they can be uploaded.

Alternatively, larger files can be uploaded to a file hosting service and a download link posted, or if necessary emailed direct to Pierre at the contact address on the XnView.com home page, in which case the thread to which the file refers should be indicated.
liviu

Post by liviu »

Posting this to confirm that both issues reported by the OP still exist in the latest XNView v2.49 and XNViewMP v0.93.1. I am running the x86 builds, with the LAV Filters v0.74.1 at all default settings. The same videos play in the correct orientation using MPC-HC configured to use the exact same LAV Filters.

The clips I have are too large to upload here, but I believe any video shot on a smartphone in portrait mode will exhibit the same problem. One thing I notice in such an .mp4 is that its EXIF lists "rotation=90". It looks like XNView ignores the "rotation" tag altogether, while XNViewMP applies it in the wrong direction.

Thank you for any followup on this.
bobnoise

Post by bobnoise »

Still the same problem. :shock: I made a very short Testvideo for you. Filmed by Huawey P30Pro.
Thanks for your wonderful work. <3
Regards BobNoise. :D
Attachments
WhatsApp Video 2020-02-22 at 06.53.35.mp4
(225.48 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Pitrys

Post by Pitrys »

Videos still upside down in Version 0.96.2 64bits (May 5 2020) on Windows 10. Anything new?
bobnoise

Post by bobnoise »

Goood morning :mrgreen:

I try to give you more helpful informations, because this bug is a problem for me ;)

I send you again the very short Test-Movie:
WhatsApp Video 2020-02-22 at 06.53.35 (1).mp4

This is what you see with XnViewMP, latest Version:
XNViewMP.JPG

This is what you see with XnView Classic, latest Version:
XNViewClassic.JPG

Here you see the right way, with VLC-Mediaplayer:
VLC.JPG

I hope this helps you for find the bug. Thank you very much for this wonderful piece of Software :D

Golden Regards BobNoise
Attachments
XNViewMP.JPG
XNViewClassic.JPG
WhatsApp Video 2020-02-22 at 06.53.35 (1).mp4
(225.48 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
VLC.JPG
40billion

Post by 40billion »

The videos are still playing upside down in XnViewMP 0.98.4.

It would be great if this could be fixed.
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

Same here.
Portrait videos from 2 different phones produce landscape thumbnails and are viewed upside-down for me.
They are viewed correctly in PowerDVD.
XnView Classic doesn't show them at all as if they don't exist.
I have to use a third party program to rotate my videos 90° to get XnView MP to show them the correct way up.
HaraldK

Post by HaraldK »

I have the same problem with xubuntu 20.04LTS
XnView MP Linux Version 0.98.4 64bits (May 31 2021)
The videos are still playing upside down
alexo

Post by alexo »

Example clip of my water bottle to illustrate the issue:
https://mega.nz/file/O90WHS4A#FmzlB01SH ... ue4SUvfM5k

Note, this also happens on Xnview MP 0.98.4
alexo

Post by alexo »

It's been almost 3 years since the problem has been reported. It happens both in XnView classic and Xnview MP, but not in VLC, Media Player, or any other player I tried.

What makes it so difficult to fix?
garne2t

Post by garne2t »

I have the same issue with some videos playing upside down. :( XnView MP Windows
Version 0.99.6 64bits (Dec 10 2021)
Giacomo Marchèt

Post by Giacomo Marchèt »

Same problem of all. I am 3436 videoclip to manage..
I go crazy and have a crazy stiff neck. :shock:
Please, authors, solve this big problem for us and, if possible, let the user choose to permanently record this information in the same file (and without changing the quality) with the same ROTATE command that is used for the images (in the toolbar at the top left).
Or, (if there are any) tell us in which menus and on which boxes to change.
I believe that each of us will give you with pleasure; coffee, croissants ... :D