Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

strans2232

Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Post by strans2232 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 pm

I am using XnView since many years. It's the best image viewer and it has also video support.
The only sad thing is, that videos taken in vertical/portrait orientation are not displayed correctly in xnview.

I took these videos with a samsung galaxy smartphone, they are in MP4 container with h.264 video stream. When i watch them in VLC they are showed in the correct orientation (portrait).

I use XNView 2.46 with ffmpeg addon and k-lite codec pack 14.5.5.
The thumbnails (coming from ffmpeg) are shown in the correct portrait orientation but the videos are all shown in landscape orientation (regardless of recording orientation).
I played around with all possible settings but nothing solved this. The MPC player coming with k-lite codec pack plays the videos in correct orientation so it seems not to be a codec issue.

I also tried XNView MP 0.92.
The video thumnails are also displayer correctly there.
The videos themselves are rotated by 180 degrees here - they are in portrait mode but upside down (for any reason..)
Besides that the current version of XNview MP has an issue with its own embedded codec causing the video to stutter at the beginning.
This issue was already discussed here in the forum.

My questions:
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView classic (Settings, Tweaks, etc.) ?
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView MP (why are they upside down) ?
- is there a fix for the video stutter issue with the XnViewMP built in codec ?

Any help is highly appreciated

BR
Andreas

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Video playback orientation for portrait videos

Post by xnview » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 pm

strans2232 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 pm
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView classic (Settings, Tweaks, etc.) ?
XnView Classic use Windows API to play video & installed codec, so i'm not sure what to do...
- is it possible to show videos in correct orientation in XNView MP (why are they upside down) ?
could you send me a sample file?
- is there a fix for the video stutter issue with the XnViewMP built in codec ?
You can disable thumbnails for video files (4)
Pierre.

Odd

Post by Odd » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

I have the same problem; I notice that Pierre has asked for a sample file, but it looks like nobody has sent him one. I was going to attach one here in the hope that this problem (that evidently has been around for a long time) can come closer to a solution, but I got the error message that the file was too large.
What is the size limit? I can make a very short sample video and submit it if that will help.

cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Odd wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm
I have the same problem; I notice that Pierre has asked for a sample file, but it looks like nobody has sent him one. I was going to attach one here in the hope that this problem (that evidently has been around for a long time) can come closer to a solution, but I got the error message that the file was too large.
What is the size limit? I can make a very short sample video and submit it if that will help.
The current forum attachment limit is 2 MiB, and all but a few common image file formats need to be placed in an archive such as ZIP so that they can be uploaded.

Alternatively, larger files can be uploaded to a file hosting service and a download link posted, or if necessary emailed direct to Pierre at the contact address on the XnView.com home page, in which case the thread to which the file refers should be indicated.