How to sort files in a folder (not copy)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

bubobubo

How to sort files in a folder (not copy)

Post by bubobubo »

Hi,

I'm using the latest 2.44 version of XnView and I'm quite happy with it. But there is one thing that drives me simply crazy.

When I mark several files in a folder and want to move them to a different location within the folder, the files are copied (duplicated) and not moved. The same if I do this with just a single file. I played around with the options for mouse but whatever I try, it keeps copying the files. I should mention that I use the mouse with my left hand.

I just want to sort the files in the order I need them. What am I missing? :shock:

Thanks for any help
BuboBubo
nebbish

Re: How to sort files in a folder (not copy)

Post by nebbish »

You mention Version 2.24 which is Xnview Classic.
As far as I know this version does not allow you to re-order files within a folder, by drag and drop.

You have to use Xnview MP for this. This is the reason I use Xnview - very few picture managers have this feature.

You can then use conventional Click, Ctrl Click, and Shift click to select Pics, Random multiple pics, and Sequences of pics and move them around at will.

Once you have them in the desired order you can then use the bulk rename to make the sequence permanent
Else the order will revert next time the folder is opened

This method also works for moving images or folders around within XnviewMP and for moving folders from the Browser pane to the Folder tree Pane, but not for moving folders around in the Tree pane.
It even works for dragging images and folders from the browser pane to an external file browser (at least it does in Linux Mint to Nemo)
You can also drag and drop from an external file browser directly in to Xnview
bubobubo

Re: How to sort files in a folder (not copy)

Post by bubobubo »

Thank you very much for pointing me into the right direction! XnViewMP works perfectly well and it also stores the new order. Great!