Fix EXIF data

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

pic_viewer

Fix EXIF data

Post by pic_viewer »

Hello,

I am suffering from the latest Apple nonsense - editing photos directly on the iOS device, like a simple rotation, destroys the EXIF data:

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/ ... _metadata/

Now the EXIF tab on those photos only has four entries: Camera Orientation, Image Colour Space/image width/image length.

What I need is at least the date back in there, as I usually sort my photos by EXIF Date. How can I do that? I tried the 'Change Timestamp' dialog, where the three EXIF entries under 'Change' are greyed out, but show the desired value as 'will be written' on the right side. But after the processing the EXIF data still has only the 4 entries. That looks like a bug. If Change Timestamp can not provide this functionality the right column should not indicate a write process will happen!

Someone knows how I can add the EXIF date to these photos?
pic_viewer

Re: Fix EXIF data

Post by pic_viewer »

Ok, I used ExifTool plus ExifToolGUI and could easily restore the whole EXIF data because I always make more than one photo, so 'Copy Metadata from Single File' worked for me. Also ExifTooll obviously allows me to add or edit the date alone.

The remaining question is why 'Change Timestamp' fails writing Exif date.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

pic_viewer wrote:Ok, I used ExifTool plus ExifToolGUI and could easily restore the whole EXIF data because I always make more than one photo, so 'Copy Metadata from Single File' worked for me. Also ExifTooll obviously allows me to add or edit the date alone.

The remaining question is why 'Change Timestamp' fails writing Exif date.
Please sned me a sample file?
Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Mail with details and sample pics send to webmaster...
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Update: another related bug. If you have several of those Exif-stripped pics and XnView's browser is set to 'Sort by: Exif Date', then the Viewer (!) will crash on start-up. Obviously it doesn't know how to sort them in the background, but it shouldn't crash.

Mail sent to Pierre.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

I have sent another mail with a file that causes crashing to webmaster.
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Update to the Update: further investigation by Pierre revealed that the crashes on my systems were caused by the outdated Ghostscript that had been installed by Corel Draw X6 (GS 8.64). I updated to the current GS 9.15 and now not only get a complete view on pdfs within XnView, but also no crashes anymore.

And also updating my first post: Apple fixed the Exif bug in the current iOS 8.1.1.

Lastly: XnView can not restore/generate Exif data, only XnView Mp can. The Change Timestamp dialog in XnView Classic is therefore a bit misleading, as it indicates it would write the Exif date into files that don't have such. It will not do. It can only modify existing dates.