Presentation of photos on a CD-Rom

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

John Hollins

Presentation of photos on a CD-Rom

Post by John Hollins »

I am writing a biography of my late mother - creating a CD-Rom with lots of jpeg family photos on it, to give free of charge to my family.

What I would like family members to see, on initial opening of the CD on their computers, is a gallery of thumbnail pictures (and not a load of grey jpeg icons).

A simple solution would be to ask all family members to download xnview software onto their computers, (I have the standard v1.66 version on a Windows 98 PC, which is briilliant).

I have also thought of putting photos onto a Word document (one photo saved on one page), but still the photos would be hidden from initial viewing of the CD-Rom content.

Any better ideas, please? Do I need to download different software, to record the jpegs as thumbnail pictures on a CD-Rom?
John Hollins
larswes

Re: Presentation of photos on a CD-Rom

Post by larswes »

John Hollins wrote:Any better ideas, please? Do I need to download different software, to record the jpegs as thumbnail pictures on a CD-Rom?
:arrow: You could use XnView, the Web Page tool, to create thumbnails and a html file. Burn these folders and files on the cd, together with a "autorun.inf" file in the root folder on the cd. This is to tell Windows to open the html file with default web browser. Your burning software should be able to create this autorun.inf file.

/Lars
helmut

Re: Presentation of photos on a CD-Rom

Post by helmut »

larswes wrote:...You could use XnView, the Web Page tool, to create thumbnails and a html file. Burn these folders and files on the cd, together with a "autorun.inf" file in the root folder on the cd. This is to tell Windows to open the html file with default web browser. Your burning software should be able to create this autorun.inf file.
There is several possible ways to go, e.g.:

a.) Burn XnView together with all the images on a CD ROM.
You create an autostart CD that includes all your images and XnView. In the previous post, Lars has described this way already. You can find a bit more detailed description in the online help, chapter "Self Starting Slide Shows on CD". You want a contact sheet to be displayed first, so your steps will vary a bit, but I think you will find out the way to go.

b.) Burn a Picture-CD that can be played on the DVD player
There's programs for writing DVDs, VCD, or SVCD that then can be played using your DVD player. Currently, XnView cannot do this. One application that does the job is XnView DeLuxe, the commercial version of XnView.
John Hollins

thanks for your excellent advice

Post by John Hollins »

Thanks for all the help you've given me. :)
John Hollins