Question about the browser XMP tab in 1.97.4

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Silversleeves

Question about the browser XMP tab in 1.97.4

Post by Silversleeves »

I'd prefer not to install/upgrade until I have some sense of what work has been done on it (if any).

In the last MP version (Ubuntu 9.04 on a laptop) I downloaded and tried, the XMP tab in the Browser was, to coin a phrase, "the soul of tidy-ness." It was almost shameful to go back to the 1.97.4 "stable and conventional" version on my Windows XP desktop and see the same tab looking like something I'd more readily associate with the Linux tarball build from what seems like a century ago. That horizontal scrollbar still gets a lot of use, I'm thinking, and as the neat two-column list in the MP build proves, it isn't necessary and probably hasn't been so for years.

Did you ever think you'd see it? A user suggesting the "borrowing back" of a feature, if only for cosmetic reasons, from the MP to "vanilla" XnView?

So has anything been done in this regard for v.1.97.4 (Win32)? Or is this the first anyone's taken any notice of it?

BZT
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Question about the browser XMP tab in 1.97.4

Post by xnview »

Sorry but could you explain me more? XMP tab in XnView 1.97 is only text, in XnViewMP you have all items in a readable form
Pierre.
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

xnview wrote:Sorry but could you explain me more? XMP tab in XnView 1.97 is only text, in XnViewMP you have all items in a readable form
That's exactly what I mean. "Only text" reminds me of the old Linux tarball version. "Readable form", columns and data, to me looks a lot tidier and up-to-date.

I take it by your answering a question with a question that the latter is not yet part of the Windows build(s). Is there any chance we'll see it in an upcoming version?

BZT
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Currently only XnViewMP is able to show XMP like that...
Pierre.
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

xnview wrote:Currently only XnViewMP is able to show XMP like that...
Okay. So I've seen asmuch. Any plans to make the one (Win32 native) look more like the other (MP on all plats)?

BZT
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Silversleeves wrote:
Okay. So I've seen asmuch. Any plans to make the one (Win32 native) look more like the other (MP on all plats)?
No only XnViewMP has XMP features...
Pierre.
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

xnview wrote:
Silversleeves wrote:
No only XnViewMP has XMP features...
I would accept that were it true.

At any rate, while XnView MP for Windows has this to display XMP...

...and the box in the Linux builds look like this...
...anyone inclined to stick with just plain old ordinary Windows-native XnView has this to look at:

Have I got that part right?

BZT
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

Well, it's 2012 (and getting into autumn), XnView Windows is now at 1.98, and the
XMP pane in the Browser view still looks like this:
Or maybe I'm the only one with or for whom this looks ugly?

BZT
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnViewMP is the only version to support XMP decoding...
Pierre.
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

I have figured out why the XMP code in the Browser tab looks the way it does in the Win32 version. If XMP Is written to a JPEG file by XnView or ExifTool, it appears "normal," i.e., line-by-line as though one were viewing it in a text editor. When it's written by EXIV2, however, it appears "flat," as my previous posts in this thread have pointed out. Evidently, the Windows-native version cannot parse EXIV2 XML code, the packet order for which also appears to be somewhat different, the same way as it's own or ExifTool's. If I was able to, I'd attach a text file to show the differences. As I'm writing this by way of an iPod Mini with Personal Hotspot off, such an attachment is not possible, nor would be an example JPEG or two to show the differences.

This post is, then, an FYI to let you know that, though it's taken almost 2 years, I'm now fairly sure why, in the Windows version at least, not all XMP looks the same.

BZT
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Silversleeves wrote:If I was able to, I'd attach a text file to show the differences.
Text attachments can be uploaded as ZIP archives.
Silversleeves

Post by Silversleeves »

XnTriq wrote:
Silversleeves wrote:If I was able to, I'd attach a text file to show the differences.
Text attachments can be uploaded as ZIP archives.
Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned that this iPad is, for the time being and the foreseeable future, the only device I have @ home with Internet; I cannot get the text file showing the differences onto it from my Windows 7 PC in any form whereby the iPod could attach it to a post.

My rather fanciful real-world analogy is: Imagine buying a 2-story house for almost nothing. You discover why it was so cheap: somebody replaced the staircase with a rope ladder, and the upstairs ceiling is too soft to mount pulleys. Equate text files with furniture and you'll have some idea of my situation

BZT
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me a picture that show XMP like that?
Pierre.
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

Silversleeves wrote:.. If XMP Is written to a JPEG file by XnView or ExifTool, it appears "normal,"...
Yes, I've come across this as well, and not understood what was happening.

XnView classic is simply putting the XMP block into the display tab.

Most software formats this by using line terminators (some use CR only, some use CR-LF)
Indenting is done either with tab characters or numbers of spaces.

Some software, like exiv2 and Picasa discard all the formatting and dump it as single text line.

Win-7 explorer is the best - it reformats existing data but adds anything extra on a single line so that line breaks can occur at illogical places.

Pierre,
XnView obviously reformats the XMP when saving to file, so would it be easy to run it through the formatter code before displaying it?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

CameronD wrote: XnView obviously reformats the XMP when saving to file, so would it be easy to run it through the formatter code before displaying it?
but could you send me a picture file that show XMP data in 1 line?
Pierre.