Random Naming Option in Batch Rename?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Grinch843

Random Naming Option in Batch Rename?

Post by Grinch843 »

Hi,

Just started using xnview a few weeks ago and think it's great. Exactly what I've been looking for to help manage my wallpaper collection.

I've started playing around with the Batch Rename function and was wondering if it might be possible to add the the ability to rename all the files with random names? With either random letters, Numbers or a combination of both??? Right now I use a dedicated file renamer to do the job, but it would be great to have everything in one place.......

Anyway, thanks for such a great program, wish I would have found it sooner :-)......

Thanks,
Grinch843.....
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Random Naming Option in Batch Rename???

Post by xnview »

No it's not possible. But why random name??
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

A random name would allow a random sort order...
John
Grinch843

Post by Grinch843 »

Ok, how about a random option with the "Sort By" function? So instead of sorting by name or date or image etc. etc. you get a random display order then just select all and do a batch rename with a number sequence, this would pretty much give the desired results.

Thanks,
Grinch843.....
helmut

Post by helmut »

Grinch843 wrote:Ok, how about a random option with the "Sort By" function? So instead of sorting by name or date or image etc. etc. you get a random display order then just select all and do a batch rename with a number sequence, this would pretty much give the desired results.
Sounds like a good idea to me. A place holder <random number> might give even more flexibility, though. The question is: What is the use case for the random number? Just random sorting or more?
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

helmut wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me. A place holder <random number> might give even more flexibility, though. The question is: What is the use case for the random number? Just random sorting or more?
The first thing that comes to mind is to capture a specific (favored) "random" order for a slideshow.

Currently, the slide show random option shows the slides in a different order each time (of course). I have found that sometimes a specific "random" sequence is more appealing than others.

Suppose the XnView Browser had a "Randomize" function AND either a "Capture sequence to filename" function OR a "Capture sequence to slide show" function. The user could continually execute the Randomize function until the thumbs appeared in a preferred sequence. Then, executing the "Capture random order to filename" would embed the sequence into the filenames (which could then be passed to the slideshow for further refinement), or executing "Capture sequence to slide show" would automatically arrange the slides in the order shown in the Browser and display the slide show dialog with the slides already arranged.

I personally find these approaches more appealing than placing a "freeze current random order" function into the slideshow dialog itself because, in the Browser, one can see whether a particular random order is appealing "at a glance", whereas if the same function was only in the slideshow dialog, one must actually view the slideshow (a more time-consuming activity).

In any case, a random value is necessary, as well as a method of reseeding...
John
thire

Re: Random Naming Option in Batch Rename?

Post by thire »

In the "panorama-mode" (paste say 3x4 images together) it would be nice to have random positions for the images. Random filenames would solve this.