Xnview Cannot view Chinese in Browser

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

SeaMonster

Xnview Cannot view Chinese in Browser

Post by SeaMonster »

Hi all,

I am new.

I am having this problem viewing files in Xnview when the files are in Chinese (tradition). They appeared as weird characters.

The thing is, I have downloaded the XnVIEW for multiple languages, I have also downloaded a file to the Chinese Languages (xnviewtw.dll & xnviewzh.dll) and extract them to the language folder in Xnview. The browser in Xnview still cannot read Chinese.

I have made the following changes to the REGIONAL & LANGUAGE features in Windows. I assumed they are done correctly, as I could read Chinese in ALL my other programs in my Computer.

But I still cannot read Chinese despite changing and adding the language add-ons.

I reside in Hong Kong and my Computer is setup in Windows XP SP3 (English).

Note :- I do not want to change XnVIEW to Chinese Language. I want the interface of Xnview to be in English, and I need XNVIEW to be able view Chinese files within XNVIEW browser. (P/S:- Windows Explorer shows Chinese correctly).

Can anyone help.....please.

Thank you
Clo
XnThusiast

Re: Xnview Cannot view Chinese in Browser

Post by Clo »

:arrow: SeaMonster

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• XnView standard does not support Unicode, that you would have found by using the Search…

- You might try XnView MP which does it, but is in a beta stage still… Please, see that section.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
SeaMonster

Post by SeaMonster »

Clo wrote::arrow: SeaMonster

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• XnView standard does not support Unicode, that you would have found by using the Search…

- You might try XnView MP which does it, but is in a beta stage still… Please, see that section.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Dear Clo,

Thank was what I thought too. However, I wanted to see if there are any other solution to the unicode issues.....since you mentioned the XNVIEW MP, I will try it but later when it is release to public.

Thank you so much.

Sea Monster
Calvinsalt

Post by Calvinsalt »

I get the problem solved by changing the windows Regional and Language Optional>Advance tag. Then change the Language for non-Unicode programs options to Chinese(Hong Kong SAR). Ok then restart XnView Classic. The chinese folder name and files name are back and all function as normal. Please refer to my attachment for the screenshot of the windows setting. Thanks!
Attachments
XnView_chinese_xp.jpg
XnView_chinese_xp.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 14194 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Agnus78

Post by Agnus78 »

Hi. I have a same problem on Windows 10 64bit.
Files with chinese letters in their name wont show up in thumbnail folder view and cannot be opened directly from Windows.
I cant find settings someone mentioned above - i belive i have newer operating system version.

Can you help?
I'm using registered XnView Classic 2.43.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Agnus78 wrote:Hi. I have a same problem on Windows 10 64bit.
Files with chinese letters in their name wont show up in thumbnail folder view and cannot be opened directly from Windows.
I cant find settings someone mentioned above - i belive i have newer operating system version.
Does this help, Agnus78?