XnView Shell Extension

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

vstar

Re: XnView Shell Extension - can not open KRO format files

Post by vstar »

Dear Sir,

I have Win 7 Prof 64 bits, work memory - 15 Gb and I would like to use XnView together with XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) for working with large KRO format files. Their sizes are from 2-3 Gb and higher. I tried to use XnView and XnView Shell Extension (64 bits). I installed successfully first XnView and then XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) but I failed to load 11 Gb KRO file as the the system reported - "not enough memory". The same result with my partner - Win 7 Prof, 64 bits, work memory - 128 Gb. For it was strange as I supposed it should be enough memory at least to open such files.

I would like to know your your advise to solve this problem if it is possible. Thank you.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView Shell Extension - can not open KRO format files

Post by xnview »

vstar wrote:I have Win 7 Prof 64 bits, work memory - 15 Gb and I would like to use XnView together with XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) for working with large KRO format files. Their sizes are from 2-3 Gb and higher. I tried to use XnView and XnView Shell Extension (64 bits). I installed successfully first XnView and then XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) but I failed to load 11 Gb KRO file as the the system reported - "not enough memory". The same result with my partner - Win 7 Prof, 64 bits, work memory - 128 Gb. For it was strange as I supposed it should be enough memory at least to open such files.
Which size in pixels?
Pierre.
vstar

Re: XnView Shell Extension

Post by vstar »

xnview wrote:
vstar wrote:I have Win 7 Prof 64 bits, work memory - 15 Gb and I would like to use XnView together with XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) for working with large KRO format files. Their sizes are from 2-3 Gb and higher. I tried to use XnView and XnView Shell Extension (64 bits). I installed successfully first XnView and then XnView Shell Extension (64 bits) but I failed to load 11 Gb KRO file as the the system reported - "not enough memory". The same result with my partner - Win 7 Prof, 64 bits, work memory - 128 Gb. For it was strange as I supposed it should be enough memory at least to open such files.
Which size in pixels?
I tried 4.67 Gigapixels and less. It did not work.
xnvusr

Post by xnvusr »

Hello,

on attempting to install the shell extension, i get the following error message

Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

xnvusr wrote:Hello,

on attempting to install the shell extension, i get the following error message..
It seems that the DLL is used at this moment. Restart the computer and try to install again immediately , without using XnView-shell before.

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
V@no

Post by V@no »

Peter2 wrote:
xnvusr wrote:Hello,

on attempting to install the shell extension, i get the following error message..
It seems that the DLL is used at this moment. Restart the computer and try to install again immediately , without using XnView-shell before.

Peter
I can't get it to install even after reboot. This is the only software of countless thousands of other software I have ever installed, that can't update itself without deep user involvement requirement.
Is this due to Inno Setup script limitations? Probably not:
restartreplace

When an existing file needs to be replaced, and it is in use (locked) by another running process, Setup will by default display an error message. This flag tells Setup to instead register the file to be replaced the next time the system is restarted (by calling MoveFileEx or by creating an entry in WININIT.INI). When this happens, the user will be prompted to restart their computer at the end of the installation process.

NOTE: This flag has no effect if the user does not have administrative privileges. Therefore, when using this flag, it is recommended that you leave the PrivilegesRequired [Setup] section directive at the default setting of admin.
But if it is, then perhaps it's time to switch the installation script all together, just because for the fact that 64bit software does not belong in C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder anyway (it seems the proposed by VictorVG fix for path on 64bit OS was ignored too)

[EDIT]
I just tested this installation script on Windows 7 x64 and it worked marvelous. Prior the test I did uninstall original XnView ShelEx.
During installation it offered proper path for the installation directory in C:\Program Files\ (no x86)
After first install no questions asked, no restart required and shell extension worked on all previously opened explorer windows
On second install it warned that it needs close windows explorer:
xnviewshelext.png
xnviewshelext.png (25.12 KiB) Viewed 14732 times
I selected "Do not close", it continued the installation process, attempted install XnViewShellExt64.dll 5 times and since it was locked it continued with the installation and at the end it asked if I want reboot to complete the installation. I chose not to reboot.
Third installation attempt informed me, that reboot required after previous installation and would not go any further. So I did the reboot.
After reboot I ran the installation forth time and when it asked if I want it close all programs (windows explorer), I said yes, all windows closed, setup successfully continued and no reboot required.
So this is how it supposed work. Please update your installer with this script (all credit goes to VictorVG):

Code: Select all

;InnoSetupVersion=5.3.9

[Setup]
AppName=XnView Shell Extension
AppVerName=XnView Shell Extension 3.5.0 (64bits)
AppVersion=3.5.0
AppPublisher=Gougelet Pierre-e
AppPublisherURL=http://www.xnview.com
DefaultDirName={pf}\XnView\ShellEx
DefaultGroupName=XnView
OutputBaseFilename=XnShellEx64
Compression=lzma2
ChangesAssociations=yes
LicenseFile=embedded\License.txt
WizardImageFile=embedded\WizardImage.bmp
WizardSmallImageFile=embedded\WizardSmallImage.bmp
ArchitecturesInstallIn64BitMode=x64
ArchitecturesAllowed=x64

[Files]
Source: "{app}\ReadMe.txt"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion 64bit
Source: "{app}\XnViewShellExt64.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver restartreplace uninsrestartdelete ignoreversion 64bit
Source: "{app}\XnViewShellExt.lng"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion restartreplace 64bit
Source: "{app}\website.url"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: 64bit

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\XnView - Homepage"; Filename: "{app}\website.url"; 
Name: "{group}\XnView Shell Extension uninstall"; Filename: "{app}\unins000.exe"; 

[CustomMessages]
default.NameAndVersion=%1 version %2
default.AdditionalIcons=Additional icons:
default.CreateDesktopIcon=Create a &desktop icon
default.CreateQuickLaunchIcon=Create a &Quick Launch icon
default.ProgramOnTheWeb=%1 on the Web
default.UninstallProgram=Uninstall %1
default.LaunchProgram=Launch %1
default.AssocFileExtension=&Associate %1 with the %2 file extension
default.AssocingFileExtension=Associating %1 with the %2 file extension...

[Languages]
; These files are stubs
; To achieve better results after recompilation, use the real language files
Name: "default"; MessagesFile: "embedded\default.isl";
[/EDIT]
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

V@no wrote: So this is how it supposed work. Please update your installer with this script (all credit goes to VictorVG):

;InnoSetupVersion=5.3.9

[Setup]
AppName=XnView Shell Extension
AppVerName=XnView Shell Extension 3.5.0 (64bits)
AppVersion=3.5.0
AppPublisher=Gougelet Pierre-e
AppPublisherURL=http://www.xnview.com
DefaultDirName={pf}\XnView\ShellEx
DefaultGroupName=XnView
OutputBaseFilename=XnShellEx64
Compression=lzma2
ChangesAssociations=yes
LicenseFile=embedded\License.txt
WizardImageFile=embedded\WizardImage.bmp
WizardSmallImageFile=embedded\WizardSmallImage.bmp
ArchitecturesInstallIn64BitMode=x64
ArchitecturesAllowed=x64

[Files]
Source: "{app}\ReadMe.txt"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion 64bit
Source: "{app}\XnViewShellExt64.dll"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver restartreplace uninsrestartdelete ignoreversion 64bit
Source: "{app}\XnViewShellExt.lng"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion restartreplace 64bit
Source: "{app}\website.url"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: 64bit

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\XnView - Homepage"; Filename: "{app}\website.url"; 
Name: "{group}\XnView Shell Extension uninstall"; Filename: "{app}\unins000.exe"; 

[CustomMessages]
default.NameAndVersion=%1 version %2
default.AdditionalIcons=Additional icons:
default.CreateDesktopIcon=Create a &desktop icon
default.CreateQuickLaunchIcon=Create a &Quick Launch icon
default.ProgramOnTheWeb=%1 on the Web
default.UninstallProgram=Uninstall %1
default.LaunchProgram=Launch %1
default.AssocFileExtension=&Associate %1 with the %2 file extension
default.AssocingFileExtension=Associating %1 with the %2 file extension...

[Languages]
; These files are stubs
; To achieve better results after recompilation, use the real language files
Name: "default"; MessagesFile: "embedded\default.isl";
[/EDIT]
Please what's the changes?
Pierre.
gate1975mlm

Post by gate1975mlm »

Hello,

Is there anyway to have photos open up in "Windows Photo Viewer" on Windows 7 64 Bit every time I click on a image from the thumbnail on XnView Shell Extension?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

gate1975mlm wrote:Hello,

Is there anyway to have photos open up in "Windows Photo Viewer" on Windows 7 64 Bit every time I click on a image from the thumbnail on XnView Shell Extension?
When you left click, or when you right click and select an option from the Shell Extension context menu?

You want to be able to open images in 'Windows Photo Viewer' from the XnView browser irrespective of the default program for that file type, or to set Windows Photo Viewer as the default viewer for some image types?

[Deleted]
Last edited by cday on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Is your request to add 'Windows Photo Viewer' to the Shell Extension 'Open with' list of programs?

If that is what you wish to do and you are encountering a problem, the likely reason is that 'Windows Photo Viewer' is not a normal application run as a .exe but is built in to the Windows 7 operating system and is a .dll file. It therefore isn't shown as an option in the Shell Extension Open with > Add program... list and I'm not sure if there is a way of adding it to that list.

Google is a wonderful resource and that information comes from the following reference:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/180 ... ation.html

Maybe further Googling would provide a way of adding the .dll to the Shell Extension list...

For reference, in Windows XP the 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' is similarly built in to the operating system, rather than a free-standing application.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

gate1975mlm wrote:Is there anyway to have photos open up in "Windows Photo Viewer" on Windows 7 64 Bit every time I click on a image from the thumbnail on XnView Shell Extension?
The settings for the shell extension are stored in the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XnView\ShellEx]
"App"="rundll32.exe shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen"
XnView Classic and MP have additional INI entries:
XnView Wiki (UI-less Settings » [url=http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/UI-less_Settings#OpenWith]OpenWith[/url]) wrote:
  • Name_# (0-x)
    • Sets a custom name for the specified 'Open With' tool.
      Value: String
    Param_# (0-x)
    • Sets a custom command-line parameters for the specified 'Open With' tool.
      Note: The %1 placeholder in the string is replaced with the filename used to launch the 'Open With' tool.
    Working_# (0-x)
    • Sets a custom working directory for the specified 'Open With' tool.
[color=green]xnview.ini[/color] wrote:

[OpenWith]
Name_0=Windows Picture && Fax Viewer
OpenWith_0=rundll32.exe
Param_0=shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1
gate1975mlm

Post by gate1975mlm »

Thanks for all the info guys.
Mostafa20xx

Post by Mostafa20xx »

I want to an option in XnShell
when i convert or resize an image to delete the original to the recycle pin
without renaming the edited one
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

I downloaded the XnShell 3.50 Zip Win 64bit file and it has the following content:
  • XnViewShellExt64.dll
    website
    XnViewShellExt.lng
    license
    ReadMe
    register
    unregister
How do I install the extension using these?
I have XnView Shell Extension 3.00 running on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system. It was installed by an administrator (I don't have admin rights).
TIA.
Desktop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
Paultx

Post by Paultx »

Another question: does the latest version support the .webp format? TIA.
Desktop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
Laptop: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM