Reordering on filename change

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Bart

Reordering on filename change

Post by Bart »

Another negative point I've noticed on upgrading to the latest version is that changing the name of a file no longer causes the files to be reordered on screen automatically. Or have I missed something?
Bart
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Yes, a sure bug for me, even if auto refresh is enabled in options, is not active.

(win xp sp1, xnview 1.74)
lawndart

Post by lawndart »

I like it the way it is better. If you intend to rename a few
similar files, they won't move around on you that way.

Use refresh to reorder files.
Bart

Post by Bart »

It would be nice to have the choice.
helmut

Post by helmut »

lawndart wrote:I like it the way it is better. If you intend to rename a few

Exactly. If the browser would rearrange the files whenever one is renamed, renaming several files was more difficult or became even impossible. In this respect XnView behaves like MS Explorer, which does not refresh either.

So if there's a real big need for this, there should be an option to set refreshing on/off (off by default).
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
lawndart wrote:I like it the way it is better. If you intend to rename a few

Exactly. If the browser would rearrange the files whenever one is renamed, renaming several files was more difficult or became even impossible. In this respect XnView behaves like MS Explorer, which does not refresh either.

So if there's a real big need for this, there should be an option to set refreshing on/off (off by default).
Yes, I like 'no auto refresh' too, but there is an option 'auto refresh' and it does not work! So I believe, it is a bug.

Hint: use F5 hotkey for refresh.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:Yes, I like 'no auto refresh' too, but there is an option 'auto refresh' and it does not work! So I believe, it is a bug.

Hint: use F5 hotkey for refresh.
I don't know what the option "Auto refresh" (Options, category "Browser > File list") does and should do. But I think that it does auto-refresh for the case it was intended for, but not for our case "auto-refresh when renaming files manually".

Before continuing discussion whether this is a bug or feature, we should know exactly what this option "Auto refresh" was intended for and what it does. Pierre?
Last edited by helmut on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Reordering on filename change

Post by xnview »

Bart wrote:Another negative point I've noticed on upgrading to the latest version is that changing the name of a file no longer causes the files to be reordered on screen automatically. Or have I missed something?
I do'nt understand, files are always ordered even after a rename.
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Reordering on filename change

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:I do'nt understand, files are always ordered even after a rename.
It seems, the batch rename works good, but renaming of a single file doesn't work good - files are not ordered (if auto refresh option is enabled).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Before continuing discussion whether this is a bug or feature, we should know exactly what this option "Auto refresh" was intended for and what it does. Pierre?
Auto refresh is used when external copy/move occurs. For example, you copy a file in the windows explorer, and the destination folder is the folder opened in XnView's browser.
Pierre.