Difference between "Description" and "Comment

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Peter2
XnThusiast

Difference between "Description" and "Comment

Post by Peter2 »

Hello

under Options-F12 there is register "View", and "Info in status bar" has two entries: "Description" and" Comment".

I know Description, but what is "Comment"? Where does it comes from, where I can edit it?

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Xyzzy ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=19635&hilit=comment+describe+description+descript.ion#p19635]Options' descriptions[/url]) wrote:Info on status bar – Defines what additional information is displayed for a picture on the rightmost part of the status bar at the bottom of the XnView’s window. 'Description' is info stored in separate descript.ion file, located in the image's directory, set with 'Edit->Describe' or CTRL+D. 'Comment' is info embedded in JPEG file, set with 'Edit->Edit comment' in View mode (NOT lossless).
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Thanks / Merci / Danke

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
PatParis

The "Comment" field is "not lossless" ?

Post by PatParis »

I like the "Description" and "Comment" files, to add text info to a pix.

I understood that the "description" is stored in a separate file (ie. I will lose the info when I move or rename the pix with the windows Explorer), so I prefer to use the "comment" which is embedded in the pix file.

> But I read here that the "comment" is "not lossless" : does anyone know what this means ? What will I lose if I use this field ? Part of the picture ? Quality ?...

Maybe I should specify my info in the IPTC fields... But they are not displayed as nicely as Description and Comments in the XnView window...

Thanks for your help !
Patrick
Clo
XnThusiast

Not lost…

Post by Clo »

—> PatParis

:) Hello !
I understood that the "description" is stored in a separate file
(ie. I will lose the info when I move or rename the pix with the windows Explorer), …
• It's because XnView uses the functions of Win Explorer to handle the items.
- I use always Total Commander for that, and the comments are kept, like you can see HERE
(then, click on the green circled row on the pic : “Commentaires depuis les fichiers descript.ion¦files.bbs” –>
You get another page >> Last section on the capture for the comments).
- The ENGLISH PAGE (then, see the “Comments…” section on the “Operation” settings section).
- The <descript.ion> files created in XnView are supported and treated in the same way.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
PatParis

Post by PatParis »

Thanks for your help.

Ok for the description. And how is the "comment not lossless" ? Can I use it without risk for my (precious) pictures ? :wink:

Thanks again,
Patrick
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

mycatboys wrote:Can I use it without risk for my (precious) pictures ?
Embedded comment is lossless, so the picture is not resaved or changed
Pierre.
SpeedDevil

Re:

Post by SpeedDevil »

xnview wrote:
mycatboys wrote:Can I use it without risk for my (precious) pictures ?
Embedded comment is lossless, so the picture is not resaved or changed
But that's not what the helpfile says. I just came here to ask, because Irfanview sets comments losslessly.

But if you are the author and you say its lossless to set the comment, I guess i have no choice but to believe it :)