XnView Media Detector

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

amair

Re: New ideas

Post by amair »

Hi!
xnview wrote:
amair wrote: Thanks. But can we have a comment on the developers on this?
I'll reply asap, sorry
Any news?

Regards,
Andreas
gclunsf

Post by gclunsf »

Pierre, back in September, I posted the following message regarding IPTC functionality within Media Detector:
gclunsf wrote:Hi, Pierre. I wanted to know if any more thought has been given to having Media Detector and XnView use the same IPTC templates rather than having them separate. Back on Dec 10, 2007 an anonymous user posted the following:
Third, it would be nice if I could use the IPTC templates I create in the media detector within XnView also. At the moment you can load IPTC templates from XnView, but I don't know where the media detector has saved the ones I've already created there. Also it would be nice if I could choose the template I want in a drop-down-menu. It works like this in the media detector now, but not within XnView itself.
You answered with the following:
Currently MediaDetector don't use the same format for IPTC template, and save them in registry
At the very least I would really like to see one set of IPTC templates used for both XnView and Media Detector. Personally, I prefer the IPTC templates be the ones XnView uses today but I see no reason it can't be the other way around. I just want to have to maintain only one set of IPTC templates. I feel the same way about the categories field if it is being handled separately between XnView and Media Detector.

I have seen other posts in this thread suggesting Media Detector be included as part of XnView rather than remaining a separate component. I also wholeheartedly support that as I feel that might go a long way toward resolving issues where XnView does things one way and Media Detector does the same things a different way.

Like many others I really appreciate your work on this.
Can you give some idea where this stands relative to other XnView priorities? I also would like to know where the issue of Media Detector reacting to USB events stands as well. Currently, I have to manually start it whenever I load a memory (SD, CF, etc.) card on a USB-attached reader.
Regards,
George Lunsford

XnView 1.98.8
Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Win Vista Home Premium SP1, WinXP Pro SP3
Fraenzken

Post by Fraenzken »

... b.t.w., it would also be great if the previews could be switched off in the preferences - it takes a while for the previews of my Olympus E510 Raws to be generated, and normally I just copy all pictures from the card anyway and have a closer look at them in XnView afterwards.
Thanks!
Frank
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

gclunsf wrote: Can you give some idea where this stands relative to other XnView priorities? I also would like to know where the issue of Media Detector reacting to USB events stands as well. Currently, I have to manually start it whenever I load a memory (SD, CF, etc.) card on a USB-attached reader.
I'm really sorry, i'm very busy currently. I'll try to work on MediaDetector for next release of XnView
Pierre.
Fraenzken

Post by Fraenzken »

... thanks anyway!
gclunsf

IPTC Functionality

Post by gclunsf »

Pierre, thanks for responding and having it on the to-do list.
Regards,
George Lunsford

XnView 1.98.8
Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Win Vista Home Premium SP1, WinXP Pro SP3
amair

Re: XnView Media Detector

Post by amair »

Hi,

any news on this?

Regards,
Andreas
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Would it be possible to have Media Detector import from USB sticks as well. It would be handy for importing and organising photos held on other drives.

Thanks,
Rob
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

I don't know if MD is supposed to do this but it imports my Sony Raw files first (*.arw) and then I have to re-start it to import the jpegs. Sorry to be bugging you Pierre but it would be great if it could import all together, whenever you get the chance.

Cheers,
Rob
Sony Alpha α100 (Silver)
Linux Mint 7
drugo

Post by drugo »

xnview wrote:XnView Media Detector allows to copy all pictures files from APN, memory card easily.

http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMediaDetector.zip
nice

is there a portable version?
and why don't include in xnview?

thanks a lot
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi,

It is an old post but i just tried Xnview media detector : it is the best solution i tried with automatic settings like lossless rotation, folder and file renaming, etc.
Is it always usable ? Is there alternative ?

thanks
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

nonob wrote:Is it always usable ? Is there alternative ?
Good questions, I just tested the download link posted above and found a vintage 2007 version 1.6.1.0 of XnViewMediaDetector.exe in the ZIP. In my XnView folder on Windows 7 SP 1 x64 I already had a fresher version 1.8.0.0, but I can't tell if this software ever worked as it should, because I have no scanner or camera to test it.

Generally any Windows software you have for a scanner or camera should contain an alternative. On the control panel for Windows 2000 the name was "scanners and cameras". I'm not sure where it is on Windows 7, it could be related to the optional "fax + scan" feature. On the "add or remove programs" page check out "activate or deactivate Windows features", "fax + scan" belongs to the printer features.

At the end of the day there can be one application handling "scan events" (or "USB camera connected" events).
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi :)
Good questions, I just tested the download link posted above and found a vintage 2007 version 1.6.1.0 of XnViewMediaDetector.exe in the ZIP. In my XnView folder on Windows 7 SP 1 x64 I already had a fresher version 1.8.0.0, but I can't tell if this software ever worked as it should, because I have no scanner or camera to test it.
I checked mu xnview windows folder and didn't found Xnviewmediadetector.

So, there is a more recent version ?

Do you have a link to download it ?

The big miss for me is that it doesn't support videos. Maybe this newer version added this ?
Generally any Windows software you have for a scanner or camera should contain an alternative.

Yes, but i'm searching for a universal solution.
On the control panel for Windows 2000 the name was "scanners and cameras". I'm not sure where it is on Windows 7, it could be related to the optional "fax + scan" feature. On the "add or remove programs" page check out "activate or deactivate Windows features", "fax + scan" belongs to the printer features.

At the end of the day there can be one application handling "scan events" (or "USB camera connected" events).
I tried windows solutions (import with Windows and Import with live gallery) but it doesn't have all the features i'm searching.

I tried cam2PC which seems to be a good alternative.

If you have others suggestions..

thnaks :)
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

nonob wrote:If you have others suggestions..
Yeah, find somebody who can tell you how it's supposed to work. :wink: But you have to tell them which Windows version you're using. The difference between, say, Win 7 32bits and Win 7 64bits could be relevant: XnView classic and the media detector are 32bit applications. And Microsoft changed their ideas about "auto play" several times over the years.

One simple thing, you find version 1.8 of the media detector in the full package. If you are on a 64bits Windows get the full package as ZIP, and try to copy XnViewMediaDetector.exe to the folder where you have XnView.exe, on my box it's C:\program files (x86)\XnView. If you are on a 32bits Windows get the full package with installer, and install it. Otherwise replacing the shell extension contained in the full package can be tricky, you might have to reboot.
nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi :)
Yeah, find somebody who can tell you how it's supposed to work. :wink:
I know how it works, it's just that it doesn't provide all the functions i want..
One simple thing, you find version 1.8 of the media detector in the full package. If you are on a 64bits Windows get the full package as ZIP, and try to copy XnViewMediaDetector.exe to the folder where you have XnView.exe, on my box it's C:\program files (x86)\XnView. If you are on a 32bits Windows get the full package with installer, and install it. Otherwise replacing the shell extension contained in the full package can be tricky, you might have to reboot.
I downloaded the full zip package and found the new media detector : version 1.7.

I tried it but video support isn't supported.