XnView Media Detector

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

martin10018 wrote:Any news on this, Pierre? Do you plan to include it in XnView in the near future?
You means in the xnview package?
Pierre.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

xnview wrote:
martin10018 wrote:Any news on this, Pierre? Do you plan to include it in XnView in the near future?
Yes!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

martin10018 wrote:
xnview wrote:
Yes!
Perhaps it's better to have it as external package...
Pierre.
w84100

Post by w84100 »

Hi,

it seems that this great tool will not be enhanced. Could you tell us if there are plans to extend and fix this tool?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

w84100 wrote:Hi,

it seems that this great tool will not be enhanced. Could you tell us if there are plans to extend and fix this tool?
Yes, i'll enhance it. Perhaps could you make a priority list?
Pierre.
PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

xnview wrote: Yes, i'll enhance it. Perhaps could you make a priority list?

1/ Transfer of all photo types eg jpg, tif nef etc (not just jpg).

2/ Select and assign multiple categories.

3/ Are the IPTC templates the ".ipt" files and where are they currently to be located to be listed in drop-down list? If the answer to the first part is "yes" then it would useful to be able to set the location of IPTC templates.

2/ Dual destination. For example "target" folder and back up folder.

Thanks

PETER
w84100

Post by w84100 »

Try it.

Prio # Enhancement
1 # Transfer all pictures inc. RAW (CamTOPC has a problem with NEF as i know)
1 # Enhance naming especially for exif time in the file name.

2 # Add IPTC templates or values to the tranfered pictures

2# Rotate picture according orientation tag

3 # select and add categories ( after it is defined how categories work in the future , see other threads)

3 # add dual destination ( can probably solved if you can start an additional programm as postaction with parameters)

Thats my proposal.

more suggestions? Please deliver input and we will discuss the priority.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView Media Detector

Post by xnview »

I've updated the version (1.6.0).

Changelog:
* RAW supported
* Companion file support
* auto rotate
* Dual destination
* EXIF template
* Skin system no more used
Pierre.
PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

Thanks Pierre.

I look forward to testing it. Hopefully later today.

PETER

Does your "EXIF template" statement refer to IPTC. How does it work?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

PSHRutPark wrote:Does your "EXIF template" statement refer to IPTC. How does it work?
EXIF can be used in output filename
Pierre.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

xnview wrote:I've updated the version (1.6.0).
Great update! Thanks!

Maybe should make the download official on the website?

Where are the settings stored?

Post by Guest »

Great piece of software, thanks!

Just two things: the "rename by numbering" option doesn't seem to work on my XP system -- e.g. when I want to rename the files to "image##.jpg", instead of replacing the "#" with the actual number, the Media Detector tries to write all files on my CF card to a single file called "image##.jpg" (i.e. it constantly tries to overwrite this single file).

Second, the Media Detector detector doesn't open XnView to show the files after downloading (I use XnView 1.91.6).

Best wishes!
Frank
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Anonymous wrote:Great piece of software, thanks!
Just two things: the "rename by numbering" option doesn't seem to work on my XP system -- e.g. when I want to rename the files to "image##.jpg", instead of replacing the "#" with the actual number, the Media Detector tries to write all files on my CF card to a single file called "image##.jpg" (i.e. it constantly tries to overwrite this single file).
Second, the Media Detector detector doesn't open XnView to show the files after downloading (I use XnView 1.91.6).
Best wishes!
Frank
It is the same case for me under Windows 98.
But , you can try to rename like this (and keep the number of original file <r>) :
rename:
file name:
image_<r>.%e
or
<c1> <c3> <c4>_<r>.%e
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
w84100

Post by w84100 »

same for me no matter if you use # or ## or #####

It ever prints a # in the file name not a number. Also i have problems to copy the files to two destinations. The second destination will be empty after the import. Directory is created but the file runs in an error because the file no longer on the source. If you switch on file deletion the file seems to be deleted before it is copied to the second dir. Also if you open xnview after the transfer it opens in the second directory not in the first specified. A progress indicator would be good. (it could be that i see nothing because i tried only with a couple of files and the most time will be used to rotate and to write catedogries and IPTC).

Something else: RAW picture are not shown in the first dialog but they are included in the file list and they are transfered (tested with PEF and DNG)
during the test with DNG i saw that the following JPG picture does not have IPTC data included. If i do the same using PEF as RAW format it works the next piture (all JPG) having IPTC included.

If xnview is not running and you click to see the pictures after the transfer. Xnview is not starting (testing using XP)

Also one additional suggestion:

Is it possible to add a dialog (only one line text input)during the directoy creation so you can specify a variable text (entered in a dialog) than the import date as an example. This would enable the possibility to add "free text" without modifying the options.

But nevertheless this helps me to forget other tools to transfer. Great job. Really.
w84100

Post by w84100 »

Hi,

it seems that i you have two similar pictures one as RAW and the other as JPG, as i can configure it on my Pentax, the JPG picture will not get the IPTC data.