XnView Media Detector

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

XnView Media Detector

Post by xnview »

XnView Media Detector allows to copy all pictures files from APN, memory card easily.

https://download.xnview.com/XnViewMediaDetector.zip
Last edited by XnTriq on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Link changed from “http” to “https”
Pierre.
Vathek

Post by Vathek »

I really like it, just what I was looking for, flexible enough and still simple - If it would only support Panasonic RAW files. I've been looking all over for a good freeware to get my RAWs on the hard drive and this looks very promising. Since the main program supports RAW now, is it just a matter of time? Even better would be automatic conversion to DNG on import to get rid of this proprietary format. But I don't want to be asking too much :wink:
Brian Pugh

Importing . . .

Post by Brian Pugh »

Great stuff, Pierre - just what I was needing. I will give it
a bashing tonight

Brian

Oh, can we see some kind of progress when the file(s) are
transferring?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Importing . . .

Post by xnview »

Brian Pugh wrote:Great stuff, Pierre - just what I was needing. I will give it
a bashing tonight

Brian

Oh, can we see some kind of progress when the file(s) are
transferring?
I'll add that
Pierre.
murthy363

Re: Import from memory card or camera

Post by murthy363 »

xnview wrote:Here is a first beta of XnView Media Detector (was with Deluxe version).

http://www.xnview.com/beta/XnViewMediaDetector.zip

(http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10996)

If you have any feedback about this tools?
Pierre, Thanks for releasing the mediadetector to the community from the deluxe version.

I have just run mediadetector and found it interesting enough. This program can be easily be integrated with the XNView.

I have a few queries, though.

1) I am able to simultaneously run many instances of the mediadetector, I do not the reason for this feature.

2) THE Right click option 'Open XNView' works only when mediadetector.exe is placed in the same folder as the XNView.exe. May be mediacoder.exe file must be placed in the XNView folder only. But why?

3) Double clicking or right clicking the 'Check digital camera and memory card' option will straight away scans the camera / memory card for files. Instead, It may be preferable to have a right click option to 'open' the mediadetector window. The user may select the various options and then press another button 'GO' which may get the information, as it is getting now.

4) The scanning process is very fast, it took a few seconds to realize what was happening!

5) The program detects the Camera / Media Card connected through the USB port. But does is it supposed to sense the Media Card 'Connected' through the Bluetooth?

Thanks again for another gem of addition to the XNView.
I am a lazy person, always searching for ways to avoid work and still manage the show !

My System : Win XP SP2 + XnView standard English version
NikoJorj

Re: Import from memory card or camera

Post by NikoJorj »

xnview wrote:Here is a first beta of XnView Media Detector
Great!!! 8)

One request : would it be possible to add a second destination folder, which will simply mirror the first for backup?
DontRememberMyLogin

Rotation

Post by DontRememberMyLogin »

and an option to auto-rotate images based on exif orientation tag as these are downloaded :-)
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

The skin is a joke, ain't it? :(
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

martin10018 wrote:The skin is a joke, ain't it? :(
It was the skin used by XnView Deluxe, but if you don't like i can remove it :-)
Pierre.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

xnview wrote:
martin10018 wrote:The skin is a joke, ain't it? :(
It was the skin used by XnView Deluxe, but if you don't like i can remove it :-)
Yes please! Use standard windows gui elements like in XnView. I (we) don't want another Faststone...
gclunsf

XnView Media Detector Beta Feedback

Post by gclunsf »

Pierre...Thanks a million for bringing the media detector out so we can have a look. I've used it a number of times, and it's worked very well. I do have some suggestions to make it more functional or at least to clear up some points:

1) I could not get the IPTC field to work at all. I'm assuming it is supposed to reference a directory of IPTC templates, but I can't see an option to specify the directory and placing a template in the code's directory (VERY undesirable) doesn't work either. Is there some other way to do this? I would very much like to populate the images with an IPTC template as they are being loaded to the HDD.

2) I very much appreciate your having a place to specify the Category for the image. Is it possible to also have a field where we can specify keywords that then would be placed into the IPTC keywords area as either a replacement or an add. I'm thinking of something similar to the use of tags on Flickr.

3) I would much prefer to see the app automatically detect the presence of the media card or camera via a USB event such as other apps like BreezeBrowser Downloader, Photoshop & Elements, etc. can do. That way, we don't have to manually kick off the app. I've seen the documentation on doing this so if you need a lead, let me know.

Other than that, this is a great add to the XnView functionality and even further raises its value. I'm pretty happy with the type and flexibility of options already there. Just having the 3 extras specified above would be really helpful. Priority wise, I would vote for the order being as it is listed above. By the way, when do you project another beta will be provided?
Regards,
George Lunsford

XnView 1.98.8
Win 7 Home Premium SP1, Win Vista Home Premium SP1, WinXP Pro SP3
PSHRutPark

Re: XnView Media Detector Beta Feedback

Post by PSHRutPark »

Thanks Pierre, I have avoided "auto" image download utilities until I tested yours.

My only problem is that it uploads the JPGs but leaves my NEFs behind! Is there an option I should be setting, or is it simple to fix?

Peter H

Post by Guest »

Hi, i miss especialy all time functions for the file names. Only date is available.
w84100

Post by w84100 »

I'm too. normaly i name my pictures

IMG_Date_Time.extension

(Exif date and Exif time). This prevents form having double names. At least normaly. Only if you make serial shots than you will have more than one picture per second. Thsi would mean i need a serial number behind to prevent double names.

Would be good if the import dialog could be extended to use exif time in the name of the picture.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

Any news on this, Pierre? Do you plan to include it in XnView in the near future?