XnView Media Detector

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

NikoJorj

Thanks Pierre!

Post by NikoJorj »

w84100 wrote:Something else: RAW picture are not shown in the first dialog but they are included in the file list and they are transfered (tested with PEF and DNG)
The same with Canon CRW+THM (from 300d) : only seen in the list, well transfered (and that's the point ;o).
during the test with DNG i saw that the following JPG picture does not have IPTC data included. If i do the same using PEF as RAW format it works the next piture (all JPG) having IPTC included.
With CRW, the RAW does not seem to get IPTC at all (NB I'd think the only safe way to do it would be to write it in a sidecar xmp file), but jpeg files are OK.
NB2 there is no "real" RAW+JPEG mode with CRW, the jpeg is always embedded in the CRW.

And a last very cosmetic issue : the title bar still says "XnViewMediaDetector 1.5". Nothing to worry about!
Great job. Really.
I do second! :mrgreen:
It's worth the XnView download page, imho too.
w84100

Post by w84100 »

additional issue found

<Y> inb folder name doe not add the Year with century. It does the same as <y>

<D> does the same as <d> it adds the date not the day only.

as soon i found other stuff i will report

Post by Guest »

It seems that no one is really interested in this part of XnView. From my pint of view this should be installed together with XnView because this functionality is a necessary part of handling pictures.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

Anonymous wrote:It seems that no one is really interested in this part of XnView. From my pint of view this should be installed together with XnView because this functionality is a necessary part of handling pictures.
I second that! Downloading from digital cameras is an essential part of every graphics application.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

martin10018 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:It seems that no one is really interested in this part of XnView. From my pint of view this should be installed together with XnView because this functionality is a necessary part of handling pictures.
I second that! Downloading from digital cameras is an essential part of every graphics application.
So perhaps i must add it in the complete package?
Pierre.
martin10018

Post by martin10018 »

xnview wrote:
martin10018 wrote:
So perhaps i must add it in the complete package?
You should.

Post by Guest »

... one other thing: On my system the MediaDetector doesn't seem to distinguish at all between small letters and capital characters, neither in the "rename" nor in the "subfolder" field. %d gives the same result as %D, %a as %A etc. - they are all seen as small characters.

Greetings
Frank
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Thanks Pierre!

Post by xnview »

NikoJorj wrote:
w84100 wrote:Something else: RAW picture are not shown in the first dialog but they are included in the file list and they are transfered (tested with PEF and DNG)
The same with Canon CRW+THM (from 300d) : only seen in the list, well transfered (and that's the point ;o).
Yes, i show only the jpeg companion file. Is it a problem?
With CRW, the RAW does not seem to get IPTC at all (NB I'd think the only safe way to do it would be to write it in a sidecar xmp file), but jpeg files are OK.
Currently i can't add or modifiy iptc in RAW files

I've uploaded a new version in the 1.92 package
Pierre.
NikoJorj

Re: Thanks again Pierre!

Post by NikoJorj »

xnview wrote: Yes, i show only the jpeg companion file. Is it a problem?
Not really - but if there ain't any jpeg companion file, it would be nicer to see the jpeg thumbnail embedded into the raw file.
Currently i can't add or modifiy iptc in RAW files
One way to do it could be to write it in the XMP sidecar file, as Adobe and others are doing - but I fully know it's easier to advise than to do :wink: .
Didn't see the announcement yet! Can't wait for it... :D
For the MediaDetector, the one downloadable at
http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMediaDetector.zip is still 1.6.0?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

NikoJorj wrote:
Didn't see the announcement yet! Can't wait for it... :D
For the MediaDetector, the one downloadable at
http://download.xnview.com/XnViewMediaDetector.zip is still 1.6.0?
Here:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

How do I add an IPTC Template in Media Detector, there's only a dropdown list with nothing in it?
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ckit wrote:How do I add an IPTC Template in Media Detector, there's only a dropdown list with nothing in it?
Type a template name, and edit
Pierre.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

Oh ok, I was hoping to load a pre-saved IPTC template (*.ipt) that was created in XnView.

Thanks anyway :)
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the media detector; it works great now! :D

Just four minor things: First, if on the CF card are pictures taken on different days and I want the media detector to create a new folder for each day, it keeps asking me "Create a new folder?" for each single day. It would be great if I could say "Yes, and don't ask again". Same thing with the question "Launch XnView" when downloading is complete - it would be handy if I could say "Yes" for all times coming.

It would also be great if XnView opened directly the folders with the new files then. At the moment, if I have taken 1000 pictures, raw + jpg, I have klick "yes" after downloading to launch XnView, then navigate to the new folders and wait until the thumbs are created which can take some time, especially with raws. It would be great if XnView directly opened the new files and started to create the thumbs. I would just insert the CF card, start downloading, and come back half an hour later when everything's done. :D

Third, it would be nice if I could use the IPTC templates I create in the media detector within XnView also. At the moment you can load IPTC templates from XnView, but I don't know where the media detector has saved the ones I've already created there. Also it would be nice if I could choose the template I want in a drop-down-menu. It works like this in the media detector now, but not within XnView itsself.

A last wish: the media detector doesn't seem to work with image tanks (i.e. portable hard drives) at the moment. It would be great if a new version would. E.g. in "options" one could set the path of the drive or folder from which the pictures should be downloaded. This would be a really handy feature!

Sorry for so many wishes... thanks for the great program!

Frank
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

NikoJorj wrote:
xnview wrote: Yes, i show only the jpeg companion file. Is it a problem?
Not really - but if there ain't any jpeg companion file, it would be nicer to see the jpeg thumbnail embedded into the raw file.
If you haven't companion file, so the RAW is used.
Just four minor things: First, if on the CF card are pictures taken on different days and I want the media detector to create a new folder for each day, it keeps asking me "Create a new folder?" for each single day. It would be great if I could say "Yes, and don't ask again". Same thing with the question "Launch XnView" when downloading is complete - it would be handy if I could say "Yes" for all times coming.
??? I have no such dialog!
It would also be great if XnView opened directly the folders with the new files then. At the moment, if I have taken 1000 pictures, raw + jpg, I have klick "yes" after downloading to launch XnView, then navigate to the new folders and wait until the thumbs are created which can take some time, especially with raws. It would be great if XnView directly opened the new files and started to create the thumbs. I would just insert the CF card, start downloading, and come back half an hour later when everything's done.
So something like 'don't show again' in the dialog?
Third, it would be nice if I could use the IPTC templates I create in the media detector within XnView also. At the moment you can load IPTC templates from XnView, but I don't know where the media detector has saved the ones I've already created there. Also it would be nice if I could choose the template I want in a drop-down-menu. It works like this in the media detector now, but not within XnView itsself.
Currently MediaDetector don't use the same format for IPTC template, and save them in registry
A last wish: the media detector doesn't seem to work with image tanks (i.e. portable hard drives) at the moment. It would be great if a new version would. E.g. in "options" one could set the path of the drive or folder from which the pictures should be downloaded. This would be a really handy feature!
Yes, currently it search for DCIM folders.
I'll add such options...
Pierre.