More XnView Users On The Way! (Download portals)

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckit
XnThusiast

More XnView Users On The Way! (Download portals)

Post by ckit »

I'm making a point of posting new final versions of XnView at ABXZone
and in doing so we're picking up some new users:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81370
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I sent info about XnView to some "good software sites" too...
XnView was in top ten long time on one of these sites :)

I think more users use irfanview, it's not bad but it's very complicated... xnview is much better, very easy to use - for new users too, great all in one browser, great new features, just someone must show them all, that it's here...
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer, ckit, et al,

This issue has been on my mind for a longer time, now, this is why my reply got a bit lengthy.

First, thank you for placing XnView in download portals. Pierre and I try to do this for English, French, and German websites, but I'm sure we miss many websites and are thankful if people help us here.
Dreamer wrote:I think more users use irfanview, it's not bad but it's very complicated... xnview is much better, very easy to use - for new users too, great all in one browser, great new features, just someone must show them all, that it's here...
I don't want to start a discussion about IrfanView or comparison "IrfanView vs. XnView", here, but what you have written is absolutely my impression and what I think. IrfanView is known by many people, that's it's main advantage. So it's a matter of making XnView known to more people.

Placing XnView in download portals (and keep it up-to-date) is a very good and important thing to start with. As you can imagine, in foreign languages other than English, French, and German both Pierre and I can do very little. All we can do is provide the descriptions, download links, and other info we have in English, French, and German, please let us know if you want these.

Perhaps there's people who volunteer to place XnView in download portals of a specific language. As written before, English, French, and German are already updated by Pierre and me, but there's many more languages...

Greetings, Helmut

Note:
XnView is listed in quite a number of download portals, already. So I'm quite sure that there's been people who did this in the past and and do this in the present already. Thank you! If you want to let us know, please drop a post here.
Last edited by helmut on Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:I sent info about XnView to some "good software sites" too...
XnView was in top ten long time on one of these sites :)
Thanks
I think more users use irfanview, it's not bad but it's very complicated... xnview is much better, very easy to use - for new users too, great all in one browser, great new features, just someone must show them all, that it's here...
Thanks but please don't speak to me about irf.....w
Pierre.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The best thing about XNView is that it's free (for personal use) and knows a whole bunch of filetypes (reading as well as writing). For a long time ACDSee user like me though the interface, operation and the settings of the program are still somehow strange and not too intuitively IMHO. Just my 2cents.
Aokromes

Post by Aokromes »

I changed from irfanview to XnView and i changed all my friends to XnView too ;)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnView isn't listed on MajorGeeks.com. I was thinking of filling out their “Submit News” form, but it's probably better to send them one of those PAD files.
helmut ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=18138#18138]XnView buttons and banners?[/url]) wrote:The Pad files are typically used when making entries in Download portals and are basically XML files.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:XnView isn't listed on MajorGeeks.com. I was thinking of filling out their “Submit News” form, but it's probably better to send them one of those PAD files.
helmut ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=18138#18138]XnView buttons and banners?[/url]) wrote:The Pad files are typically used when making entries in Download portals and are basically XML files.
I care for German "speaking" download portals, so for German "speaking" download portals please contact me and do NOT place an entry there.

Thanks & Greetings, Helmut
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

@ helmut:

I had NO intentions whatsoever to place anything anywhere WITHOUT asking you or Pierre BEFOREHAND.
As a matter of fact, the reason why I posted this info here was to prompt someone who's AUTHORIZED and familiar with submitting to take care of this, because I didn't think it's appropriate for me to do so.
Again: I am not the kind of person who acts on someone's behalf UNLESS I have been given his or her EXPRESS CONSENT.

MajorGeeks (US-based, p/k/a TweakFiles.com) has been around for ages. They have ties to J!nx and digg. So, telling them about XnView is certainly worth the effort.
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnTriq wrote:@ helmut:

I had NO intentions whatsoever to place anything anywhere WITHOUT asking you or Pierre BEFOREHAND.
As a matter of fact, the reason why I posted this info here was to prompt someone who's AUTHORIZED and familiar with submitting to take care of this, because I didn't think it's appropriate for me to do so.
Again: I am not the kind of person who acts on someone's behalf UNLESS I have been given his or her EXPRESS CONSENT.

MajorGeeks (US-based, p/k/a TweakFiles.com) has been around for ages. They have ties to J!nx and digg. So, telling them about XnView is certainly worth the effort.
Thank you for your post, I understand, now. (We speak the same language, anyway ;-) )
For my part I just want to make sure that things are done properly and avoid double work. This is why l've emphasized that German speaking download portals are currently my "claim". I wouldn't even mind if someone came along and asked me whether he/she could do this.

I'll contact Pierre and see whether he can make the entries for the downlod portals that you have listed.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

helmut wrote:Thank you for your post, I understand, now.
Mission accomplished :)
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnTriq wrote:XnView isn't listed on MajorGeeks.com.
Geek-o-licious! Now it's listed twice with even higher user ratings than the competition 8)