Can XnView open archive file?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

zero11187

Can XnView open archive file?

Post by zero11187 »

Can XnView open pictures in *.rar files ? It can open *.zip files but sometime it have error "Format of the file *.zip/rar could not be determined"
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Can XnView open archive file?

Post by xnview »

Yes, you need to install the addon
Pierre.
zero11187

Post by zero11187 »

I found it. But when using it, I open first picture in a *.rar file, when I switch to next pictures, it show strange pictures which I don't know where are they
ckv

Post by ckv »

zero11187 wrote:I found it. But when using it, I open first picture in a *.rar file, when I switch to next pictures, it show strange pictures which I don't know where are they
Unfortunately archives are not fully supported in XnView and switching to next or previous file in view mode doesn't work. You need to open each file separately for viewing from the archive.

The "strange pictures" you see, are probably other pictures in your temp directory. XnView uses your temp directory to temporarily store the file you are vieving from the archive, so when you try to switch next picture XnView just shows whatever file there might be in you temp directory.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
zero11187

Post by zero11187 »

Can I ask XnView would improve archive support addon in the future ? I really like XnView and really need this addon
osiris2258

Post by osiris2258 »

I have been requesting proper support for this for over a decade.