Dual pane file browser [with visuals]...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:06 am

Maybe a completely new program - just a browser could be created instead of implementing such feature to xnview. I don't know. It would be "Image / multimedia file manager" with direct access to xnview, with previews, thumbnails... In xnview could be an option to switch to this "Image file manager" instead of xnview browser. What do you think?
But the point of requesting these features in XnView is to have an integrated solution to work with existing features of XnView that hint at needing these features for a more complete and seamless workflow.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:42 pm

TsunamiZ wrote:
Maybe a completely new program - just a browser could be created instead of implementing such feature to xnview. I don't know. It would be "Image / multimedia file manager" with direct access to xnview, with previews, thumbnails... In xnview could be an option to switch to this "Image file manager" instead of xnview browser. What do you think?
But the point of requesting these features in XnView is to have an integrated solution to work with existing features of XnView that hint at needing these features for a more complete and seamless workflow.
Right, maybe we'd need another topic for this...

Anyway, "(image) file manager" from Pierre would be the best file manager, better than any shareware file manager and better than TC (yes Clo ;) ) IMO.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:33 pm

We don't necessarily need another full fledged file mananger. Just have XnView include some of the basics that would compliment the existing file management capatibilities of XnView. Such as allowing multiple browser tabs and accessing the recycle bin. Dual pane mode would've been nice but it seems it's rather long away.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:34 am

TsunamiZ wrote:We don't necessarily need another full fledged file mananger. Just have XnView include some of the basics that would compliment the existing file management capatibilities of XnView. Such as allowing multiple browser tabs and accessing the recycle bin. Dual pane mode would've been nice but it seems it's rather long away.
OK, but important is to have 2 file lists with standard 'file manager' features:
another mode/layout with two file lists, two previews and file manager's hotkeys - Tab, F5 ,F6 and Insert/Space - other hotkeys works already in xnview (F2, F3, F4, F7, DEL, Shift+DEL...).
Otherwise it would be the same as two xnview windows = useless.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:07 am

Basically, you don't want to require users to open another XnView, recycle bin, etc., to do some basic multitasking file management.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8153
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22 am

For several reasons, I'm against a dual pane XnView:

- XnView is not a mature file manager and should not become one. (Even if file and media management is very much related).

- There are people who like dual pane file handling, but there are also many people who do well with single pane and simply use Internet Explorer.

- Dual pane means much less space for preview and thumbnails. This would mean that file management gets more important than image viewing and browsing. But XnView should remain an image viewer and browser, not a file manager.

- There's still a lot of potential to improve the current handling to make file management easier with single pane. E.g. what about starting a new instance of XnView at a specific folder (XnView starts XnView)?

- Rather than putting effort into dual pane handling, I'd like to see permanent EXIF display, improved printing dialog, rotation with automatic cutting, and other things improved.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:40 am

Dual pane can be toggled on/off. It's just another option, not a permanent interface.

Dual pane is just a feature that is useful if added to XnView. Whether or not it's practical to add at this time is a different consideration.

Adding dual pane feature in itself does not make XnView an full fledged file manager.

Xyzzy
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:17 pm
Location: Poland

Post by Xyzzy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:47 pm

TsunamiZ wrote: Dual pane is just a feature that is useful if added to XnView.


And I still wait for some reasonable scenario justyfying it. Not every feature is useful.
TsunamiZ wrote:Whether or not it's practical to add at this time is a different consideration.


No. We are not talking about abstract notions here. Suggestions should be reasonable, and this includes implementation.
When Pierre decides to rewrite inteface, then it's time to mention your wish.
TsunamiZ wrote: Adding dual pane feature in itself does not make XnView an full fledged file manager.
So why add it? It neither improves media handling nor makes XnView file manager. Step in wrong direction.

X.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:54 pm

And I still wait for some reasonable scenario justyfying it. Not every feature is useful.
Its usefulness is self evident and has been mentioned previously, even with a screenshot.
No. We are not talking about abstract notions here. Suggestions should be reasonable, and this includes implementation.
When Pierre decides to rewrite inteface, then it's time to mention your wish.
It is a reasonable suggestion and users have already expressed support for it. No one knows when the interface will be updated with this, so it's only practical to present the concept now and let it be known as a future consideration. I think you should be more reasonable in your response.
So why add it? It neither improves media handling nor makes XnView file manager. Step in wrong direction.
Read the info in the thread, and don't make pointless remarks. :shock:

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 am

helmut wrote:For several reasons, I'm against a dual pane XnView:

1. XnView is not a mature file manager and should not become one. (Even if file and media management is very much related).

2. There are people who like dual pane file handling, but there are also many people who do well with single pane and simply use Internet Explorer.

3. Dual pane means much less space for preview and thumbnails. This would mean that file management gets more important than image viewing and browsing. But XnView should remain an image viewer and browser, not a file manager.

4. There's still a lot of potential to improve the current handling to make file management easier with single pane. E.g. what about starting a new instance of XnView at a specific folder (XnView starts XnView)?
1. I agree, but xnview already has many file manager features, this one would not change it to file manager for sure.

2. First, it would be customizable and second and you say "There are people who like dual pane file handling", it's true, file managers are very popular, so why not add this option also to xnview for these people?

3. I dissagree, users could switch between layouts, so they could switch to 'file manager' layout only when they'd need it.

4. I think 'file manager' layout would be the most effective option. You could see where you copy/move files, you could switch between both panels, check/compare several images from different locations quickly, copy/move files with a single key...

Xyzzy
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:17 pm
Location: Poland

Post by Xyzzy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:38 pm

TsunamiZ wrote: Its usefulness is self evident and has been mentioned previously, even with a screenshot.
Self evident-not. Clarify to me usefulness of two file panels in MEDIA BROWSER. Come up with some SCENARIOS related to media browsing/editing when it is useful. Tell it to me (and others) in plain words. Maybe the solutions is already there, you just cannot find it.
TsunamiZ wrote: It is a reasonable suggestion and users have already expressed support for it.
I have opposite opinion. And users supporting blatantly bad ideas is standard.
TsunamiZ wrote: No one knows when the interface will be updated with this, so it's only practical to present the concept now and let it be known as a future consideration. I think you should be more reasonable in your response.
So present your concept, because now all you said can be summarized as "two file panels".
This is a concept:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4777
Yours should be a few times longer, because of complexity.
TsunamiZ wrote:Read the info in the thread, and don't make pointless remarks.
Could you quote? All I can read is "add this" and "this is useful".

X.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Xyzzy

You obviously just don't get it so I'm not going to waste anymore productive time convincing you. Other users can speak for this feature. Also read Dreamer's points, because he "gets it". Plus, why don't you go to xplorer2's forum [ www.zabkat.com ] and try to convince users that dual pane is a useless feature, so you don't waste my time. [And I used to think people had to be relatively intelligent to be a moderator.] :x

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Dual pane browsing and file management makes more sense in the XNView world if we could have multiple browser tabs... I certainly would use the feature.
John

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm

JohnFredC wrote:Dual pane browsing and file management makes more sense in the XNView world if we could have multiple browser tabs... I certainly would use the feature.
Yeah, is there already a thread requesting multiple browser tabs? Or does this thread count for it?

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:53 pm

TsunamiZ wrote:
JohnFredC wrote:Dual pane browsing and file management makes more sense in the XNView world if we could have multiple browser tabs... I certainly would use the feature.
Yeah, is there already a thread requesting multiple browser tabs? Or does this thread count for it?
There are too many posts here, so I don't know...

I'll add both links to Global Request & Suggestion list.

Post Reply