Dual pane file browser [with visuals]...

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
TsunamiZ wrote:any plans for dual pane yet?
No, currently not in "Must to have" for next release....
Please don't forget that there are people and good reasons against dual pane. See my first post, for example. Before implementing anything, this should be discussed thoroughly.
But it's a lot of work, many code must be rewritten to support dual pane...
Pierre.
herr_k.

Post by herr_k. »

helmut wrote: - XnView is not a mature file manager and should not become one. (Even if file and media management is very much related).

- Dual pane means much less space for preview and thumbnails. This would mean that file management gets more important than image viewing and browsing. But XnView should remain an image viewer and browser, not a file manager.

- There's still a lot of potential to improve the current handling to make file management easier with single pane

..... Rather than putting effort into dual pane handling, I'd like to see ... and other things improved.
to be honest i really dont want a bloated program. and this is on edge.
i stopped using acdsee when it got to big with a lot of useless features for an image viewer.

and xnview is an IMAGE-viewer! please dont bloat it with things like dualpane/ or like these suggestions i found ->

Code: Select all

"- DX: Create AVI/PDF/Flash/CD/VCD/SVCD"
"- DX: Slide show with music"
"- Web page template with Placeholders for EXIF and IPTC data 
- Web page creation with preview"
"- m3u file list support"
"- DX: MP3/video information"
where is this heading to :evil: ?? :?:

i have my FILES-manager for files that are no pictures and i will not use xnview for checking my other media out.
there is for everything a special program/manager and that is good this way!
mediamonkey for mp3, vlc/vdub for video, xnview for pix, TC for FILEoperations!

sorry maybe a little offtopic, but thats how i feel about this megalomanism in nowadays progs. i dont now why many people think, when there are many wishes a program can solve for many different needs it would be used by a wider clientel. i think this is contraproductive.

please dont make the same error :?

Post by Guest »

Dual pane is not something that will bloat this program.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Dual pane is not something that will bloat this program.
Sorry, I meant that dual pane is something that will bloat this program.
DT

Post by DT »

herr_k. wrote: sorry maybe a little offtopic, but thats how i feel about this megalomanism in nowadays progs. i dont now why many people think, when there are many wishes a program can solve for many different needs it would be used by a wider clientel. i think this is contraproductive.

XnView in on the fine way to become another bloated pos- lots of additions of doubtful usefulness while basic functions still left unoptimized, buggy and underdeveloped.
XnView is king of "almost done right, complete and bugfree" features.

DT
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

DT wrote:
herr_k. wrote: sorry maybe a little offtopic, but thats how i feel about this megalomanism in nowadays progs. i dont now why many people think, when there are many wishes a program can solve for many different needs it would be used by a wider clientel. i think this is contraproductive.

XnView in on the fine way to become another bloated pos- lots of additions of doubtful usefulness while basic functions still left unoptimized, buggy and underdeveloped.
XnView is king of "almost done right, complete and bugfree" features.
Which feature are buggy or underdeveloped?? Your post is not very usefull for me...
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

herr_k. wrote:to be honest i really dont want a bloated program. and this is on edge.
i stopped using acdsee when it got to big with a lot of useless features for an image viewer.

and xnview is an IMAGE-viewer! please dont bloat it with things like dualpane/ or like these suggestions i found ->
I disagree, if you manage non image files in dual pane file manager and you like it, why not do it the same for image files - as option! All users need to manage images, often 2 instances of xnview must be opened and dual pane would be good alternative, even better and faster for some users.
herr_k. wrote:...please dont bloat it with things like dualpane/ or like these suggestions i found ->

Code: Select all

"- DX: Create AVI/PDF/Flash/CD/VCD/SVCD"
"- DX: Slide show with music"
"- Web page template with Placeholders for EXIF and IPTC data 
- Web page creation with preview"
"- m3u file list support"
"- DX: MP3/video information"
Some of this feature are also in much smaller viewers, like irf**view - is irf**view bloatware?
About "MP3/video information" - it is also in deluxe version and it's just basic information, current cameras, cell phones are multimedial - they can create/"play" not just images, but also video and audio files and it could be useful to see e.g. video resolution... And XnView is (from homepage):

"an efficient multimedia viewer, browser and converter."

And - options like "Web page template" should not affect performance, since they should be inactive when viewing images, converting...

If you want to continue in this OT, please start new topic.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Dual pane is not something that will bloat this program.
Sorry, I meant that dual pane is something that will bloat this program.
I disagree, this is not so "big" feature, I don't see any reason why it would bloat xnview - and even as option, there are so many dual pane file managers, are they all bloated??
Dreamer
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

What does "bloat" mean, anyway? Too many features? Or too many "unused" features? Most programs have features I never use. Are those programs "bloated" because I don't use all of the features?

My definition of bloat is the addition of useful features to a program in such a way that the additional features tend to get in the way of the basic use of the program.

Proper interface design can take care of that issue. If a program seems bloated to a user, then the user interface must be poorly designed.

I always want more features in every program, if properly integrated. A dual-pane filer feature in XNView is something I would use every single day, over and over and over again! If there was a simple toggle to turn-off the extra pane for the users who don't want it, or if the extra pane was off by default, how could such functionality ever qualify as bloat?
John
Clo
XnThusiast

Totally agree !

Post by Clo »

—> JohnFredC

:) Hello John !

• I agree totally !

- "Bloated" by useful features - even when untapped by a part of the users
and “blown up” by useless fat must not be confused !

• Thank you to point out that important difference !

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote: Which feature are buggy or underdeveloped?? Your post is not very usefull for me...
Hehehe, that was my work colleague once I told about XnView. He's come to similar conclusions as I :)

Oh, just happened to drop in :)

Sayonara,
Xyzzy
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Great reply John! :)

It would be unique feature, I don't know any image viewer with this, but it's a big feature so probably too late for the next version.

Those who use file manager can't live without it, those who would try xnview with this feature would can't live without xnview. :D
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Additional suggestions:

Mini-toolbar button, or/and main toolbar button to quickly enable/disable dual view mode. Or the same way as currently to show/hide preview, folder tree...

Splitter toolbar between the panels (as in FreeCommander) with the additional buttons:

- copy (to other pane)
- move (to other pane)
- delete
- view
- edit
- recycle bin
Dreamer
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

Well You certainly have my vote against this.

I don't understand how you can possibly request such thing for a image viewer.

take a few steps back, think again, and go ask your file manager developer to more tightly integrate image files
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I totally disagree with you Thibaud. Dual browser panes in XnView would rock.

Furthermore, I want multiple browser tabs, each one with dual panes!
John