Delete in slideshow mode

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Delete in slideshow mode

Post by xnview »

Often i have user that request to have delete in slideshow, do you think that this feature is good?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I'm hesitant. Users might delete a wrong picture by accident, but maybe it would be useful if they would be cautious. I think there should be an option, of course disabled by default if it would be implemented. Or/and there should be a dialog that must override any other options including Windows.
Xip

Post by Xip »

Hi! I would greatly appreciate if this could be implemented as a hotkey in the slideshow. A confirmation dialog should prevent accidental deletions and as suggested above there may also be an option that disables this hotkey by default, although I do not think that the last is necessary.
helmut

Post by helmut »

I think that deleting a file when pressing "Delete" would be good. The question is, whether the image is just removed from slide show or the image file is really deleted.
Clo
XnThusiast

To keep anyway---

Post by Clo »

:arrow: Helmut

• Hi !
…The question is whether the image is just removed from slide show or the image file is really deleted.
- I guess that “Removed from the slide show” should be reasonable…
- "In the case", these pics could be physically moved into a folder to define, then the user'ld be able to sort them and delete the ones really useless…

:mrgreen: G.
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

The only acceptable solution could be to move the picture into a "Quarantine" folder till the slide show be closed; then, a dialog asking for a confirmation and showing the list of the files to be deleted should be opened !

Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Xip

Post by Xip »

You are very cautious, this is a feature of several other viewers and they simply have a confirmation dialog. However, I agree that one concern can be that the wrong picture is deleted, maybe if the picture changes before the key is pressed. One possibility would be to freeze the slideshow and to show the confirmation dialog before deleting. Another would be to have a key that exits the slideshow but that selects the current image and opens it in the viewer where it can be deleted. Or the delete hotkey could be an option that is disabled by default.

EDIT: Actually, a hotkey for opening the image in view mode may be the best since one may want to do other things with image besides deleting it.
loth

Post by loth »

hi all,
i posted a similar request here: http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=24138#24138

after i read this article, i worked out something like this, which might be an illustration of my words :-)

Code: Select all

options->slideshow

[x] enable file operations while in slideshow-mode (alt+m,alt+c,etc...)
   [ ] enable deletion via delete-key
     ( ) remove file from the slide show
     (.) delete file on drive (will remove file from slideshow too)  (this will use: general->delete to recyclebin/confirm file delete)

[ ] if enter-key is pressed while in slideshow-mode, go to the folder of the current picture and select that picture. (and quit the slideshow)
btw: the Quarantine folder might be a good idea, but my Quarantine folder is the recycle-bin :-)
if people like the idea of a seperat Quarantine folder, it might be interesting to move/copy files to it with the full path, not only the file itself.

so the original directory structure is preserved.
loth

i second that

Post by Guest »

the reason people used the backspace / space function in AcdSEE was so they could go back to the previous picture and DELETE it :)

therefore i would love to be able to delete in slideshow mode, now that i am able to rewind in it properly as well..
and i think the option of having it quarantine or recycle bin would be great :)
qda

would be great

Post by qda »

are there any plans for this to be implemented?
it's a great idea
loth

Re: Delete in slideshow mode

Post by loth »

xnview wrote:Often i have user that request to have delete in slideshow, do you think that this feature is good?
it feels very good. do you think, it will be implemented? or is it gone?
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:Often i have user that request to have delete in slideshow, do you think that this feature is good?
No, deleting photos during the slideshow is dangerous (especialy with childrens or novices PC users near the keyboard/screen) then it is not realy a good idea.
But it's possible to affect selected "photos to delete" to a new "to_delete" category (or Quarantine_category) ?
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
loth

Post by loth »

oops66 wrote:No, deleting photos during the slideshow is dangerous (especialy with childrens or novices PC users near the keyboard/screen) then it is not realy a good idea.
letting the user choose, (options => slideshow => [x] allow deletion in slideshow) if he trusts himself (or anyone else, i.e. your mentioned kid) or not, will make the deal. very simple. very clear. no danger. :-)
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

loth wrote:
oops66 wrote:No, deleting photos during the slideshow is dangerous (especialy with childrens or novices PC users near the keyboard/screen) then it is not realy a good idea.
letting the user choose, (options => slideshow => [x] allow deletion in slideshow) if he trusts himself (or anyone else, i.e. your mentioned kid) or not, will make the deal. very simple. very clear. no danger. :-)
Yes, why not, good idea.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
xahlee

Post by xahlee »

Hi, am really interested in this feature. It it possible with version 1.96.2?

Thanks.

Xah