JPEG XL

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

WinnieW

JPEG XL

Post by WinnieW »

Is support of JPEG XL format planed?

It*s the official successor of the well known and establish JPEG format.

It has many improvements and legacy JPEG support, means any JPEG XL decoder must support decoding files in the common, wide spread JPEG format.

Final specs of the format are expected in the next two weeks.

https://jpeg.org/jpegxl/
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: JPEG XL

Post by xnview »

it's planned for XnView MP, i don't know yet for XnView Classic
Pierre.
WinnieW

Post by WinnieW »

Format freeze originally was planed in August has been delayed to December. Format freeze of JPEG XL was 3 day ago.
Files created with older versions are not compatible with present JPEG XL decoders.

Technically a JPEG XL decoder can replace the standard decoder for legacy JPEG files in XnView, because a JPEG XL decoder is able to decode all files of ISO/IEC 10918 JPEG standard.
rotiya

Post by rotiya »

xnview wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm it's planned for XnView MP, i don't know yet for XnView Classic
Any word on this? I just installed the latest XnViewMP and couldn't choose JPEG-XL to export to
Firefox already has support for it, so I'd like to use XnViewMP to convert my images to it for my website
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

rotiya wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:37 pm
xnview wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm it's planned for XnView MP, i don't know yet for XnView Classic
Any word on this? I just installed the latest XnViewMP and couldn't choose JPEG-XL to export to
Firefox already has support for it, so I'd like to use XnViewMP to convert my images to it for my website
you can save as JPEGXL already in XnView MP
Pierre.