Let me set darkness of outside crop area

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

I_go_r

Let me set darkness of outside crop area

Post by I_go_r »

Needed to make able to set darkness of outside crop-selection area as in attached example (see attached image)
Last edited by I_go_r on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Let me set darkness of outside crop area

Post by cday »

I_go_r wrote:Needed to make able to set darkness of outside crop-selection area as in attached example see [above] image
You are suggesting adding an option to apply a change to only the area outside a selection, which as far as I know isn't possible at present and might possibly be a useful option sometimes?

I can see two possible workarounds at present, neither certain to be entirely satisfactory:

o Apply the change to the whole image first, then a second change to the selection to reverse the first change in that area;

o Crop out the selected area, apply the change to the remaining image, then paste the cropped-out area back if it can be position sufficiently accurately.

I think your suggestion might not be too difficult to add eventually, and might indeed be useful sometimes...

Edit:

For reference, another way to obtain this result if it is required might be to use Image > Map > Negative to invert the image, then apply a suitable change to the area that is be unchanged in the final image, then invert the resulting image... Untested, but possibly the most practical possibility??
I_go_r

Post by I_go_r »

No. You don't understand my idea. The idea was: when I selecting a region, then all outside area automatically darkened, and when I resize selection then all that outside selection is darkened also. BUT this "darkness" not applayed for picture, it's only for masking outside area while I selecting region to help me see "what I'll get" if I make crop. This masking outside selection region just for suitable making crop, to help me see "how will picture will imaging if I crop it to current selection". So this "darkness" is just "selection tool helper". Its like selection frame option whith makes "selection frame with shadow" and this "shadow" darkening all outside selected region.
Last edited by I_go_r on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I_go_r wrote:The idea was: when I selecting a region, then all outside area automatically darkened, and when I resize selection then all that outside selection is darkened also. BUT this "darkness" not applayed for picture, it's only for masking outside area while I selecting region to help me see "what I'll get" if I make crop.
Could you try XnViewMP (still in beta) for which I think the default selection option is what you are requesting...
I_go_r

Post by I_go_r »

Maybe XnviewMP has this option, BUT it's haven't many other options which "classic Xnview" has. I using "classic Xnview" and comfortable with it's functionality, so I want just to add this option to it.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I_go_r wrote:Maybe XnviewMP has this option, BUT it's haven't many other options which "classic Xnview" has. I using "classic Xnview" and comfortable with it's functionality, so I want just to add this option to it.
So your request is to add an option to XnView 'Classic' to have the area outside a selection darkened as is the default setting in XnViewMP:
XnViewMP_Selection.png
Not everyone liked that darkening when it was introduced in XnViewMP, so there is now a setting to disable it if desired... :wink:

But XnViewMP has had many more functions added to it now, and is the future, so perhaps you could look at it again...
I_go_r

Post by I_go_r »

I think what making this feature to be able swithed on or off is good idea because someone may be not like it. But this function is
widespread in other imaging software, so it's also will be very good idea to give ability to use it if soneone whant it.
And I periodically installing new versions of XnviewMP, but it's not what attracting me ;) I prefer use featurereach "classic" Xnview ;)