Basic brush tool

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Drahken

Basic brush tool

Post by Drahken »

I think it would be very useful to have a basic brush tool in xnview. Nothing complex, just the ability to choose the color and perhaps the size (although the size could just be permanently set at 2 or 3 pixels. 1 pixel is too small to be very visible, yet too large would also be problematic, keep in mind that this is intended for annotation-type purposes.) There are many times when i want to highlight something in a screenshot or photo, but don't want to fire up a full-fledged image editor just to draw a circle or an arrow. Having a simple brush tool in xnview would work out quite nicely for situations like that.
klumy

Post by klumy »

maybe the freeware Pain.net is the right tool for you ;)

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.htm
XNView 1.91.5
Windows XP SP3
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

I already have meesoft's image analyzer which is a small viewing prog that conatians a simple brush tool, but i still think xnview should have one. I think it would come in handy at least as much as 90% of the filters and effects that are already in xnview.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

I support this request.

E.g. when I create screenshot in xnview and I want to highlight something (just a simple arrow), I must save it, open it in (e.g.) PhotoFiltre and save it again there.

Of course, it's not very important, but if it would be easy to implement, it would be very nice feature.

I suggest one toolbar button to switch between "normal mode" and "brush tool", maybe with "sizes" submenus (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, custom).
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Basic brush tool

Post by xnview »

Drahken wrote:I think it would be very useful to have a basic brush tool in xnview. Nothing complex, just the ability to choose the color and perhaps the size (although the size could just be permanently set at 2 or 3 pixels. 1 pixel is too small to be very visible, yet too large would also be problematic, keep in mind that this is intended for annotation-type purposes.) There are many times when i want to highlight something in a screenshot or photo, but don't want to fire up a full-fledged image editor just to draw a circle or an arrow. Having a simple brush tool in xnview would work out quite nicely for situations like that.
Yes, it's in my TODO list
Pierre.
DerJohannes

Re: Basic brush tool

Post by DerJohannes »

xnview wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:04 pm Yes, it's in my TODO list
Is the "simple free-hand brush feature" still on the TODO list? I am missing this feature in XnView MP Windows Version 0.93.1 64bits (Mar 6 2019).