Slideshow File Type Filter

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Alamei

Slideshow File Type Filter

Post by Alamei »

Would it be feasible to add the ability to filter which file types get loaded from the selected folders for an XnView slideshow? I use the slideshow feature quite frequently on a variety of sources, and I noticed that XnView pretty much tries to run any file that exists in folders selected for the slideshow, regardless of what the file is or whether XnView can actually open it. As a result, if I run a slideshow on, say, a large folder of media pulled from a phone or camera that can also take videos, XnView will try to play the videos when it gets to them, resulting in an error saying that it can't handle the file type.

It would be nice if we could manually blacklist/whitelist file types as part of the "More Options" for a slideshow (since it would occasionally be desirable to exclude even some files it can handle, like GIFs). However, if that would be too much work, would it at least be possible to set the default behavior to only include files that XnView can actually handle (i.e., no mp4/mov/avi)?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Slideshow File Type Filter

Post by XnTriq »

Have you tried changing the setting in Tools » Options... » General » Misc. » SlideShow from Use all image & video files in current folder to Use all image files in current folder?
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

I currently have the SlideShow setting on "Use all image files in current folder and its subfolders", but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Regardless of which option I choose, it still tries to load video files (mp4 and the like) if they're in the folder. I figured that setting may only relate to slideshows started from Browse mode, as opposed to slideshows created with the Tools->Slide Show option. If you could make that setting apply to all slide shows, that would definitely resolve the issue on my end.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Hi Alamei
Alamei wrote:If you could make that setting apply to all slide shows, that would definitely resolve the issue on my end.
I'm just a regular user. Pierre is the developer of XnView etc. ;-)
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

Ah... based on your name, I thought maybe he had finally brought someone else on to help him code. Thanks for the suggestion, in any case.