Save selection

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Troken

Save selection

Post by Troken »

Hi,

Two questions regarding selections:

1. Today you can not save more than one user defined selections for later use. There are lot of preset selections but it would be much more handy to define your own selections, or adjust the current ones.

2. I don't understand the preset selections. If I use one, say "17x33", the selection is 669x511 pixels. What is 17x33? Inches? mm? You can not really understand it and this is a major problem. Whatever it is, it should be stated clearly, 17x33 px, or 17x33 in etc.

BTW, the version is 1.97.3
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: Save selection

Post by marsh »

Set selection size means print size using dpi. I would have expected pixel measurement when first seeing it.

- Replacement for 'Set Selection Size'...
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

I'd wager that very few people use the preset selection sizes. Both due to the confusion over how they work/what they do (being based on print size is extremely counter-intuitive, it should at least include some note about that (ie "60x80 (print size)"). Even the few people out there who might find such a function useful don't use it because they have no idea that it's there), and due to being a function that few people will have any use for. Even if you are trying to print a photo of a specific physical size, you're far more likely to achieve that size by first cropping it visually, then either adjusting the DPI to make it print at the correct physical size, or by using your printer's settings to stretch it to the correct size during the printing process.

Being able to save multiple different custom sizes would be quite useful.
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!
Troken

Post by Troken »

Thank you Marsh for the explanation.

I quite agree with Drakhens post and I'd go as far as saying: remove the feature completely if its not useful and intuitive. I work with graphics software daily (for quite some years now), and I could not guess how it works.

However, to be able to save selections is something I find useful now and then, so a updated feature would be great. But only actual pixels, not dpi. The dpi or ppi should stay the same as before cropping.
helmut

Post by helmut »

+1

I never understood the sense of "Selection size". And I've never used it. Perhaps it was helpful in those days when print options of XnView were more limited, but nowadays there should be no need for that. Let's remove "Selection size" unless someone posts good reasons to keep it.

BTW: What is selection ratio 1.7066?
Drahken

Post by Drahken »

Setting selection ratios is useful, such as when you want to end up with a perfect square, or to crop wallpaper the exact ratio of your screen, etc.

Custom selection size is quite useful, especially when dealing with a series of screenshots. Taking multiple screens of youtube vids for example; You hit f10 to take your shots, but then you're left with a lot of web page & browser bits, so you select the actual video area, set it as a custom selection size, then just reapply it to each of the other screens. It's also good any time you have a bunch of images that you want to crop to the exact same dimensions.

The preset custom sizes though just aren't useful at all.
Oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer, oh the feuhrer's nipples bonk!