Leading Punctuation Sorting With "Name (Numeric)"

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Alamei

Leading Punctuation Sorting With "Name (Numeric)"

Post by Alamei »

I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority here, but I often use leading punctuation, such as an exclamation point, to ensure that given file(s) sort to the absolute top of a folder. Within XnView, the leading punctuation sorts to the top with the standard "Name" option, but when I switch the sort method to "Name (Numeric)", numbers take priority over punctuation in addition to re-sorting among themselves. If it wouldn't be too difficult, I would love a sort option that provides the more natural numeric sorting while still maintaining the traditional sort priorities for punctuation.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Leading Punctuation Sorting With "Name (Numeric)"

Post by xnview »

Could you post a screenshot example?
Pierre.
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

Certainly; here's a quick example.

Traditional "Name" sorting: "!Cover" sorts to the top, then numbers, then alpha characters:

"Name (Numeric)" sorting: First numbers (sorted naturally), then "!Cover", then alpha characters:

Thanks for the quick response. If you need any more information, just let me know.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, i'll try to fix it in next version...
Pierre.
Alamei

Post by Alamei »

I just downloaded the latest update and noticed the sorting was fixed. Thank you for your rapid response to this issue; I really appreciate your willingness to resolve an issue that very few people would even have noticed.
lukoie

Post by lukoie »

By the way I also use that exact kind of sorting with exclamation mark. Never used "name numeric" though - name sorting worked fine so far.