Adding custom "Selection size/ratio" items

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

I_go_r

Adding custom "Selection size/ratio" items

Post by I_go_r »

Please, realize ability to add some custom items to menu lists: "Set selection ratio" and "Set selection size", or ability to change standard values listed in that menus by custom values. Because standard values almost never match desired custom values.
Thanks a lot!!!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Adding custom "Selection size/ratio" items

Post by xnview »

You can save a custom value, but you would like more?
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

xnview wrote:You can save a custom value, but you would like more?
Hi Pierre...

Yes, more! Please standardize/modularize the ability to save named custom settings everywhere a user might want them. For instance:
  • Resize dialog
    Adjust dialog
    Canvas size dialog
    Grid
    Selection size
    Selection ratio
    Zoom amounts
    etc.
The code is not difficult and can be modularized. Perhaps a separate INI file "usercustomsettings.ini" to keep them in would be good.

Here is a reminder of my previous proposal for a Grid dialog that defines an interface for "more" custom values. Something similar could be standardize/modularized and inserted everywhere it is needed.

Or that excellent control cluster for saving scripts (from the MP Batch dialog) would work just as well and take up less screen real estate.
John
I_go_r

Post by I_go_r »

Yes: we can save a custom preset BUT: we can't name it (for usability in future) and we can't make it avialable for next time after restarting program. And main : there is just one custom preset - it's too little for comfortable use of this functions. Fixed presets (which can't be customized), I think, not needed anymore. If we can make some custom presets then anybody can form own set of presets which he wants. (sorry for my bad English, it's foreign for me)
Ty

Post by Ty »

I would like to also request some means to (a) save more than one custom ratio, and (b) save them between sessions. I frequently need to take images of all different sizes and crop them to a specific ratio for, for example, printing on a greeting card. I have several sizes of card, and it would be very nice to have named and permanent ratios. The existing fixed ratios are not so helpful; why not replace them with ones that the user defines himself? Or better yet: continue to show the 16 choices that exist now, but allow the user to replace whichever of those he wishes. Maybe I want to keep "16:9," but never use "A3, A4"; so I would like to replace "A3, A4" with a different name and different definition. Not so easy perhaps, but it would be nice.....