Options-Browser-Icon Info: Add "no GPS"

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

GeorgD

Options-Browser-Icon Info: Add "no GPS"

Post by GeorgD »

Add Options - Browser - Thumbnail - Icon Info - "red GPS for missing geo-information". Usually, I geo-tag my photos of travel & hikes 8) so I'd like to know if any pic is NOT geo-tagged, e.g. because this EXIF information was lost during edit in a dumb program. XnView's search can't search for "no GPS information", so there is no efficient way to find those pictures :(
For XnViewMP, I suggested this in http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=18702
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Options-Browser-Icon Info: Add "no GPS"

Post by xnview »

I'll add the 'has GPS" icon in next version
Pierre.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

xnview wrote:I'll add the 'has GPS" icon in next version
That's good news :) And what about "NO/red GPS" that I am more interested in that in "GPS"? :) Yea, users always want too much ;)
In the XnView Wiki, you can improve the user guide / documentation / F1-help for XnView (classic/Windows) and for XnViewMP
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

GeorgD wrote:what about "NO/red GPS" that I am more interested in that in "GPS"? :)
Can be closed. GeoSetter offers great search & filter functionality on any EXIF or IPTC information and I check for missing coordinates in GeoSetter. BTW, it also offers to rate images in browser mode with rating being stored in the image metadata, so I can do all metadata polishing in 1 tool.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

GeoSetter: What a nice tool!!!

There are so many modern and improved graphics utilities available now. Very difficult to select which to use.

I wish XnView did everything I needed... but it would take a superhuman programming effort to incorporate every feature, function, and behavior I personally need...
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:GeoSetter: What a nice tool!!!

There are so many modern and improved graphics utilities available now. Very difficult to select which to use.
Yes, it's a nice tool. What do you see from GeoSetter in XnView?
Pierre.
GeorgD

Post by GeorgD »

xnview wrote:What do you see from GeoSetter in XnView?
For me, XnView needs not to add detailed functions for geotagging of photos - it's a very special use case with according, good software for it. As XnView / XnViewMP has a focus on organizing and browsing photos, those functions shall be improved by inspiration from GeoSetter and others - IMHO mainly an optional small map showing the pic location (yes, it's in XnViewMP, but not in full screen) and a search and filter for EXIF/IPTC data including position info, e.g. a friend asks "show me your photos of city x and surroundings" or "show me your mountaineering photos (=above 2500m)" - how shall I do using XnView (no sufficient position filtering) or GeoSetter (no good viewer)? It's a use case not really handled in both softwares but easy to automate (instead of manual tagging of all pics). Nice addition would also be an export of a picture list into GoogleEarth for spatial browsing 8) having the thumbnails as POIs and a click going to that image in full size.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Hi Pierre

The Metadata Save options are well designed, clearly understood, and very useful:

A couple of things stand out about the GeoSetter UI that would be good in XnView, too:

Workspace panel drag-and-drop improvements: every panel (thumbs, preview, GPS map, file info) is a docking container. There are no apparent restrictions at all to the panel arrangement. Plus, there is that cool little docking "cross" control that appears during panel drag rearrangement to assist placement.

• (I have seen the panel docking/management library that GeoSetter uses in other software. Wherever it comes from (does any one know?), it is the best such implementation of docking I have encountered outside of the Corel products such as PSP). The Geosetter docking model does not also support a tabbed view for any panel arrangement, though. Not sure if that is a library limitation.

In the image below, the workspace is arranged so that the map and metadata panels are suboordinate to the image panel (notice particularly the splitters).

Workspace name and save. Any panel arrangement can be named and saved... and switched to within seconds. Divider positions are accurately stored and re-stored.

I know this post sounds like many of my prior posts/requests over the years... but there it is.
John
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

JohnFredC wrote:(I have seen the panel docking/management library that GeoSetter uses in other software. Wherever it comes from (does any one know?), it is the best such implementation of docking I have encountered outside of the Corel products such as PSP). The Geosetter docking model does not also support a tabbed view for any panel arrangement, though. Not sure if that is a library limitation.
AutomatedQA Docking Library :?:
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

Thank you XnTriq. I've downloaded the library and will play around with it. Could be the answer to question or two.
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote: The Metadata Save options are well designed, clearly understood, and very useful:
Really? There is too many options for me.....
Workspace name and save. Any panel arrangement can be named and saved... and switched to within seconds. Divider positions are accurately stored and re-stored.
You save/restore layout in MP??
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

There is too many options for me...
I really like knowing exactly and feeling secure about what is going to happen when metadata is saved (the "where is it?" questions, mostly). IMO XnView isn't clear enough about that. The best way to "know" that is to have explicit control and GeoSetter's finely grained options are good.

Another advantage of the GeoSetter approach (i.e., "by filetype" metadata options) would be the possibility of saving the metadata of PNGs and other "no-metadata" formats to sidecars/companions. (GeoSetter doesn't implement this currently, nor does anyone else).
Unless I missed something, MO does not allow the user to name a layout, save it to a file, and restore it later. The prenamed layouts work mostly OK, but there is only 1 "free" layout at a time and MP does not preserve it when the user switches away to another layout and then back to the free layout...
John
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JohnFredC wrote:
Unless I missed something, MO does not allow the user to name a layout, save it to a file, and restore it later. The prenamed layouts work mostly OK, but there is only 1 "free" layout at a time and MP does not preserve it when the user switches away to another layout and then back to the free layout...
??? On the toolbar you have a "layout" button with save/restore
Pierre.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

:shock:

Geez. All this time using MP and I didn't know.

I thought the Layout buttons in the MP toolbar designer were duplicates (they both say "Layout") so I never placed the second one on the toolbar.

I'll spend some time today to see how it works! (and post observations in the MP topic)

Sorry Pierre!

:shock:
John