Default toolbar icons demopage

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

mezich

Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by mezich »

All icons I made for XnView - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
With time I will add more icons.

Now I'm working with Change timestamp metaphor (cmd_SetTimeStamp)
What do you think? Let me know your ideas for this metaphor.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: default toolbar icons demopage

Post by JohnFredC »

2Mezich

Thank you. I love your icons. They are the best!
John
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your effort in the Mezich toolbar, it looks really great!

Your demo page looks very good, very well done!

== Some feedback regarding your current designs:
It's very hard to say which drafts to use for cmd_SetTimeStamp and cmdSetComment.

For cmd_SetTimeStamp I prefer #2 a bit (the stamp in #1 reminds me of a joystick).

For cmd_SetComment I think #2 is good. It looks a bit like "Rename file" in the small toolbar (Main 16x16) but both position and design makes it still easy enough to distinguish. The comment "bubble" looks very much like the bubble used in "Show information". perhaps the comment bubble could be light-yellow to differentiate comment from information (light-yellow is used in some programs for displaying comments, e.g. Excel).
mezich

Post by mezich »

helmut wrote:Thank you for your effort in the Mezich toolbar, it looks really great!

Your demo page looks very good, very well done!

== Some feedback regarding your current designs:
It's very hard to say which drafts to use for cmd_SetTimeStamp and cmdSetComment.

For cmd_SetTimeStamp I prefer #2 a bit (the stamp in #1 reminds me of a joystick).

For cmd_SetComment I think #2 is good. It looks a bit like "Rename file" in the small toolbar (Main 16x16) but both position and design makes it still easy enough to distinguish. The comment "bubble" looks very much like the bubble used in "Show information". perhaps the comment bubble could be light-yellow to differentiate comment from information (light-yellow is used in some programs for displaying comments, e.g. Excel).
Thanks for your comment Helmut.
Demopage show how icons will looks in toolbar. Also all graphics stored in one place for easy update. Whould be nice if Pierre for next release will use icons from demopage.
cmd_SetTimeStamp - I like metaphor in #1 (clock stamped on file) but don't know how make stamp better. May be stamp handle shold be wooden.
As I understand cmd_SetComment will add text user can see with cmd_ShowInfo(Show information). That's because icons looks similar. So I don't sure about light-yellow background.
helmut

Post by helmut »

mezich wrote:.. Whould be nice if Pierre for next release will use icons from demopage.
Perhaps you point Pierre to your webpage or this topic via email.
mezich wrote:cmd_SetTimeStamp - I like metaphor in #1 (clock stamped on file) but don't know how make stamp better. May be stamp handle shold be wooden.
Yes, a wooden or "single" colour stamp might be better.
mezich wrote:As I understand cmd_SetComment will add text user can see with cmd_ShowInfo(Show information). That's because icons looks similar. So I don't sure about light-yellow background.
The comment can be used in "Show information" but it is not necessarily shown because "Show information" can be customized. The comment is just one of various image information that can be used and displayed with "Show information".
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Re: Default toolbar icons demopage

Post by JohnFredC »

Sorry, I didn't have time to respond about these before now, but unfortunately, neither example works for me.

cmd_SetTimeStamp

The "stamp" shown in Example 1 implies "watermark" or "cancel" or "approve" ... but nothing to suggest time. The clock in Example 2 does suggest time, but there is no visual implication of an action to set or change that time.

IMO a combination of document symbol (for context), clock symbol (for item to be changed) , and pencil (for the change action itself) would be better:
  • pencil + document + clock=change document time
A calender symbol might work well in place of the clock.

cmd_SetComment

Example 1 suggests "display commandline" or "run DOS". Example 2 is very confusing... the pencil suggests "change" but the CRT suggests "run DOS". What would that mean? Example 3 dispenses with "CRT" metaphor, but lacks an action symbol.

I like the balloon shape though. In the social internet world, a comment is frequently symbolized by a "balloon".

Perhaps...
  • Pencil + 3 lines in balloon + balloon = edit comment

OK. There's my 2 cents worth.
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

helmut wrote:
mezich wrote:cmd_SetTimeStamp - I like metaphor in #1 (clock stamped on file) but don't know how make stamp better. May be stamp handle shold be wooden.
Yes, a wooden or "single" colour stamp might be better.
cmd_SetTimeStamp3 added - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
what do you think?
Last edited by mezich on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote: cmd_SetTimeStamp

The "stamp" shown in Example 1 implies "watermark" or "cancel" or "approve" ... but nothing to suggest time. The clock in Example 2 does suggest time, but there is no visual implication of an action to set or change that time.
Clock implies clock. Not a watermark :)
JohnFredC wrote: IMO a combination of document symbol (for context), clock symbol (for item to be changed) , and pencil (for the change action itself) would be better:
  • pencil + document + clock=change document time
pencil + document + clock
hmm. In this combination I'm nor sure that pencil related to clock.
JohnFredC wrote: A calender symbol might work well in place of the clock.
cmd_SetTimeStamp4 added - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
It's what you meant?
JohnFredC wrote: cmd_SetComment

Example 1 suggests "display commandline" or "run DOS". Example 2 is very confusing... the pencil suggests "change" but the CRT suggests "run DOS". What would that mean? Example 3 dispenses with "CRT" metaphor, but lacks an action symbol.
I like the balloon shape though. In the social internet world, a comment is frequently symbolized by a "balloon".
Perhaps...
In #1 and #2 - used input text field = you can enter some text. In combination with baloon = enter comment.
What is CRT?
JohnFredC wrote:
  • Pencil + 3 lines in balloon + balloon = edit comment
OK. There's my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for you cents :)
cmd_SetComment4 added
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

cmd_SetTimeStamp
mezich wrote:pencil + document + clock
Generally, a pencil symbol in an icon implies "write" or "change".
mezich wrote:cmd_SetTimeStamp4 added - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
It's what you meant?
No. Those look like the rating bullets, not a calendar. I meant a "tear off" one-day-per-page calendar symbol. That is also relatively standard icongraphy for date and sometimes date/time.

cmd_SetComment
What is CRT?
CRT = Cathode Ray Tube = Display monitor. The rectangle w/rounded corners scribed inside the comment balloon in Examples 1 & 2 looks like a computer monitor with a cursor suggesting the DOS command-line. That is a visual association which is very difficult for old-timers such as myself to shake.

My approach to icongraphy is to start with a symbol rebus (pencil + document + clock = change document time) and then try to simplify it by searching for symbols that combine two or more components into one symbol.

Am in total agreement that a pencil on every toobar icon that represented "change" this or that would look foolish, but one has to start somewhere..
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

cmd_SetTimeStamp
JohnFredC wrote:
mezich wrote:pencil + document + clock
Generally, a pencil symbol in an icon implies "write" or "change".
For me, basic meaning of pencil symbol is "write".
Screwdriver or wrench better for "change" in this context. What do you think?
mezich wrote:cmd_SetTimeStamp4 added - http://www.mezich.ru/xnview/demo/
It's what you meant?
No. Those look like the rating bullets, not a calendar. I meant a "tear off" one-day-per-page calendar symbol. That is also relatively standard icongraphy for date and sometimes date/time.
I think this metaphor is deadlock direction because not related to file and not clear to understand - too many meanings.

cmd_SetComment
JohnFredC wrote: CRT = Cathode Ray Tube = Display monitor. The rectangle w/rounded corners scribed inside the comment balloon in Examples 1 & 2 looks like a computer monitor with a cursor suggesting the DOS command-line. That is a visual association which is very difficult for old-timers such as myself to shake.
I'm surprises that in shape of baloon with input field you see something like monitor.
For me command line should looks like ">C:_" or ">_" on black background.
JohnFredC wrote: My approach to icongraphy is to start with a symbol rebus (pencil + document + clock = change document time) and then try to simplify it by searching for symbols that combine two or more components into one symbol.

Am in total agreement that a pencil on every toobar icon that represented "change" this or that would look foolish, but one has to start somewhere..
That's because I suggest use screwdriver or wrench.
Demopage updated.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

For cmd_SetTimeStamp, I like #4 best, even though I myself suggested the screwdriver symbol be added.

BTW, what does the "L" in the blue dot (Examples 1 & 3) mean?

For cmd_SetComment, I am still uncertain. The pencil (or wrench) communicates strongly "change", but it looks peculiar. And the comment balloon by itself (esp. the one in Example 4) suggests "chat"...

Please, someone else jump in here. As always, this is difficult, especially cross-culturally.
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote:BTW, what does the "L" in the blue dot (Examples 1 & 3) mean?
Minute and hour hand on stamped clock.
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

That explains why I didn't understand those examples.

I think there is a "loose" convention to choose a symbolic time that cannot be confused for an alphanumeric. Examples would be: 9:55 or 2:05 or 3:25 or 5:40, etc.

There is a similar convention in watch/clock advertising.
John
mezich

Post by mezich »

JohnFredC wrote:
That explains why I didn;t understand those examples.
I think there is a "loose" convention to choose a symbolic time that cannot be confused for an alphanumeric. Examples would be: 9:55 or 2:05 or 3:25 or 5:40, etc.
There is a similar convention in watch/clock advertising.
I think #3 easier to remember and use than #7 because it's more expressive.
ckv

Post by ckv »

I personally like the cmd_SetTimeStamp #3 and cmd_SetComment #1 icons.

In general I like all the new and modified icons. cmd_Capture now has a recognizable application window on the backroung. I constantly mix Capture to Acquire so it is much better now.

The only icon I think is a little off is cmd_BatchRename. Symbolism in cmd_BatchRename is berfect, but the icon looks silly with the small file icons. I would suggest either make the files bigger and overlapping or different design with three overlapping 'rename boxes'.

I also would suggest changing the '?' symbol in cmd_About to 'i'. New cmd_Help looks too similar and even before this I have clicked few times the 'About' button when I wanted to open the help.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.