Set IPTC field with Batch Rename? ObjectName vs Headline

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Eric B

Set IPTC field with Batch Rename? ObjectName vs Headline

Post by Eric B »

I am discovering the IPTC editing possiblities in Xnview. It seems to be quite powerfull, and very important, not desctructive for existing data (std exif and MakerNotes remains after IPTC tagging).
What library is used to write IPTC? Xnview own or something external? Editing of camera RAW files (e.g. CR2) do not seem possible. Would it not be nice? (but requires some further tests depending of the lib, I am thinking on exiftool which works great for that and has the advantage to be widely used & tested)

What is the best place in IPTC to set the image title? Headline (256 chars) seems to be the first choice. What about ObjectName (limited to 64 char)? Any experience with other software?

One feature I really like in XnView (and probably the one I am using the most) is the "Batch Rename...".
I am wondering it would be possible to use it to set IPTC field (e.g. IPTC:Headline) instead of the filename only. What do you think?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Set IPTC field with Batch Rename? ObjectName vs Headline

Post by xnview »

Eric B wrote:What library is used to write IPTC? Xnview own or something external?
My own library
What is the best place in IPTC to set the image title? Headline (256 chars) seems to be the first choice. What about ObjectName (limited to 64 char)? Any experience with other software?
Headline i think
One feature I really like in XnView (and probably the one I am using the most) is the "Batch Rename...".
I am wondering it would be possible to use it to set IPTC field (e.g. IPTC:Headline) instead of the filename only. What do you think?
IPTC dialog is better for that
Pierre.
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

the idea with batch rename was to use its power, e.g. to set a part of the filename to the IPTC:headline
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

This is a great idea, similar to what I'm looking for when importing images using XnView Media Dectector: apply IPTC data to all images being imported.
Sony Alpha α100 (Silver)
Linux Mint 7