Search or Sort by DPI

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

paulzy

Search or Sort by DPI

Post by paulzy »

I'm trying to figure out a way to either sort a folder of 1800+ images by DPI, or search for something specifically by it's current DPI. The folder I have has images all over the board in DPI and I need to make them consistent in a lossless way. If I could sort them by DPI I could see which need modification. right now the only way I can see this info is getting properties. That is something I'm not too keen on doing 1800+ times. Any ideas on how to do this with XnView, and if not with it, any other ideas? I've been hunting for something to do this for hours.

Thanks
helmut

Re: Search or Sort by DPI

Post by helmut »

There is no sorting by dpi. Perhaps sorting by print size might help (View > Sort By > Print Size).

Another possible way would be batch renaming all the images and using the variable <dpi> as prefix when renaming. Then, you could sort your images by name and perform the required action. The problem is to remove the prefix in the filename later on.
paulzy

Post by paulzy »

Thanks, I ended up going through their properties, it was painful. FYI I spent a good chunk of time trying to find some tool to do this and came up empty. If you are looking for features that put you ahead of the game, that would be one of them.

Great product btw.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Ok., I see. "Search by dpi" and "Sort by dpi" might be useful for other users, too.

-> Moved to "Suggestions"
uberfly

Post by uberfly »

Let me add my support for this suggestion. Search or sort by DPI has been something I've needed several times in the past. Thanks for all your hard work.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I would be quite interested to know what use exactly you make on dpi search or sorting.
(I am more in photography where I don't see any use)

Thank you.
Olivier