'X' to close tabs

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

gamez

'X' to close tabs

Post by gamez »

The tabs should have a little X to close them. ESC key is nice, but sometimes I want to use the mouse (without going through context menu).

Thx,

g.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Re: 'X' to close tabs

Post by Peter2 »

gamez wrote:... I want to use the mouse (without going through context menu)...
Doubleclick on tabs! :D

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
gamez

Super!

Post by gamez »

Indeed, that works. Thx for the hint!

g.
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

or get mouse with a MMB (middle mouse) viola.. use MMB close a tab.. never been simpler.. no need for noobie X close gfx buttons on the tab button.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

Koogle wrote:or get mouse with a MMB (middle mouse) viola.. use MMB close a tab.. never been simpler.. no need for noobie X close gfx buttons on the tab button.
Right, +1, for me too, a MMB ( a middle mouse click button) is the best solution to close a Tab, and an extra "X" is not needed for me (or only as option).
PS: For the MP version too.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

for me too, a MMB ( a middle mouse click button) is the best solution to close a Tab
sure thing, so count me in.

... I'm afraid we really might have to buy Pierre a 3 button mouse to get all these mmb request addressed though ;)
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

... I'm afraid we really might have to buy Pierre a 3 button mouse to get all these mmb request addressed though
heheh... it could be an xmas present :D
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

I disagree. These days you don't use three button mouse, but 2 button mouse with scrollwheel. The scrollwheel then can be clicked too, and used as middle button or whatever.

For me KatMouse uses the middle button, on all my computers, and also on those of my friends, and nothing in this world will bring me to remove this phantastic functionality just to close XnView tabs - that should have an x.

And just in case you don't know: Katmouse puts the top window to the background by clicking with the midle mouse button. It is the easiest and best way to walk through different windows that lie on top of each other. No other method beats this.
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

LOL... you didn't seriously think we were talking about one of these:
thats soo 90's man.. thats more like the next generation Apple Mighty Mouse :P

this is better.. mousewheel also has 2 side buttons+the normal mmb.. so thats 3 buttons +a mousewheel yay..although the mmb itself has a crap design and is hard to press.. design floor.. but one of side buttons can take over the default mmb functionality.

"No other method beats this."

well ..its kinda debatable on how useful that bit (mmb) of functionality really is .. like for all applications.. I do use other apps that use mmb, wouldn't want that util taking over that button for itself...(not saying that util doesn't provide some useful stuff like the better active mousewheel scrolling, i'll have to try it out).... what would beat that to me though is if MS wasn't shit and backwards(like that fact Win7 still doesn't by default support MMB closing apps/tasks directly from the taskbar, although you can add that support using taskfix etc..) but yeah back onto what would be better... is if mousewheel support was added onto the taskbar.. thus.. providing a quicker more intuitive way of switching active windows(or easier toggling back/forth between 2 active tasks).. and also faster alternative to alt-tabbing windows isntead of having to use the keyboard shortcuts...just move the mouse and use wheel :)
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Jokes aside the point for me is that I expect XnView to follow intuitive and easy ways to use a program as shown by others. Discussing if the tabs should have an x or not is comical, to say the least.

A middle mouse click is totally un-intuitive, as is the current behaviour: a double click on a tab should change to fullscreen display. At least this is what I would expect 'intuitively' from such a function.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

For me KatMouse uses the middle button, on all my computers, and also on those of my friends, and nothing in this world will bring me to remove this phantastic functionality just to close XnView tabs - that should have an x.
So basically you are cutting out default mmb functionality from all (there's hopefully an exclude list) your windows applications.
and requesting developers not to rely on it just because your third party gadget is using it ? :shock:
that's not fair isn'it ;)

Of course, the default mmb behavior that appears to be commonly adopted by a growing number of application (3d viewport navigation / tab closing) are always questionable.
Yet they are the only defacto standard windows uses can refer to.

I guess the only solution to all these recurrent mmb and scroll wheel request, would be no less that a proper hotkey manager in xnview & xnviewMP where mmb and scrollwheel are present.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

pic_viewer wrote:A middle mouse click is totally un-intuitive, as is the current behaviour: a double click on a tab should change to fullscreen display.
LMB double-click on titlebar = Maximize window
LMB double-click on tab = Close document (Notepad++, PSPad, UltraEdit, etc.)
foxyshadis ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=47365#47365]Tab closing at the tab[/url]) wrote:In firefox, the [x] only shows up when you hover over a tab. iirc Opera works that way as well. So the extra space taken up would only be when the mouse is hovering over the tab, if done that way. I'd personally hate having an x at all times, but wouldn't mind it showing up on hover at all.
thibaud

Post by thibaud »

ts tss tss... you must have been configuring that yourself.
lmb double click on tabs does nothing in notepad++
You However forgot to mention that they All use mmb to close tab.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

This is exact, most softwares use MMB to close Tabs now.
(only one MMB click, instead two LMB clicks)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Koogle

Post by Koogle »

double click on a tab should change to fullscreen display.
this is just wrong.. why bcus.. its been standardised this way
+many other apps/browsers over the years, that do actually have MDI interfaces.

perhaps you don't know about this option. .. but if anything LMB double-click on [image] should fullscreen it.. thats what I have it set too in the [Switching modes] dbl click action set too : "Browser<>Fullscreen | Viewer<>Fullscreen "

only because really xnview isn't a proper image editor so dbl clicking on the image is a good enough toggling fullscreen/windowed function to me.
ts tss tss... you must have been configuring that yourself.
lmb double click on tabs does nothing in notepad++
well it is in the tab bar options.. and it should be on by default anyway imo.. its a pointless option to me.. as it should just be on...who dbl clicks a tab and expects it to do any but close it, unless other options are provided... but yeah mmb closes by default so its a option that probably rarely if ever gets used by most users.. personally i'd rather have dbl clicking a tab in notepad++ send it directly to a split view// [Goto another view] ... but that opensource development has some way to go tbh.. full hotkey/mouse shortcut customization should be more sort after in all applications imo.