"Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

Post Reply
User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

"Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by Troken » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:02 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if it could be possible to rebuild only a selected file/folder thumbnail. Now all files in current folder are rebuilt. This takes quite some time if you have many/large files in a folder.

thanks
Troken

User avatar
JohnFredC
XnThusiast
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: Sarasota Florida

Post by JohnFredC » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:47 am

Support++++
John

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32070
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: "Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by xnview » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 am

Troken wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if it could be possible to rebuild only a selected file/folder thumbnail. Now all files in current folder are rebuilt. This takes quite some time if you have many/large files in a folder.
Ok, but why do you want only rebuild one thumbnail??
Pierre.

User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

Re: "Rebuild thumbnail"-suggestion

Post by Troken » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:55 am

xnview wrote:Ok, but why do you want only rebuild one thumbnail??
It's mostly when I want to update folder-thumbs, after changing the content.

User avatar
Karl02
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Karl02 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:44 pm

I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. When dragging and dropping an image to a subfolder, the thumbnail of that subfolder is updated. However, when cutting the image, changing to the subfolder, pasting the image and go up again, the thumbnail is not updated. Is this a bug :?:
-- Karl

User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Troken » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Karl02 wrote:I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. ...
I can confirm this.

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 32070
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Post by xnview » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:41 am

Troken wrote:
Karl02 wrote:I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. ...
I can confirm this.
Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
Pierre.

User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Troken » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:47 am

xnview wrote:Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
I think so, but I have not tested on single files.

User avatar
Karl02
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Karl02 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:16 pm

If I edit an image with an external editor, the thumbnail of the image is updated correctly, but the thumbnail of the folder is not updated. It seems that xnview isn't watching for changes of a folder/directory.

In this context I'd like to mention that it is not possible to paste images to a subfolder by right-clicking on it and selecting "Paste". See also this post. Instead, the image is copied as "Copy of ..." to the same folder. This is not intuitive in my opinion.
-- Karl

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Post by loth » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:04 am

xnview wrote:
Troken wrote:
Karl02 wrote:I would expect that the thumbnail of a folder is updated automatically when the content of that folder changes, but in version 1.91.6 this is not always the case. ...
I can confirm this.
Right, so the problem is only for folder thumbnail?
this is now working in 1.92 quite good :-) thank you.

User avatar
Karl02
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Karl02 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:54 am

In version 1.92 it is now possible to rebuild only the thumbnail of a single folder, but the thumbnail of the folder is not always automatically updated. I have written a bug report for this case.
-- Karl

User avatar
Troken
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Troken » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:07 am

Yes, hence this thread is solved. The new feature works well, but automatic update would be interesting too of course.

User avatar
herr_k.
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Post by herr_k. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:11 pm

great thanks.
through which criteria it is chosen which 4 thumbs are show on the folder?
i would like to see (in the context menu pressing right mouse over the foldertab) the choice also to rebuild the thumbs with the newest pictures in the folder (also automatic this would be a better solution for me).

alternativ it would be great if one could see the actual folder name over/inside the folder-icon, because i never use the labels like filename.. on the picturethumbs, but it is a little bit annoying, that automatically the foldernames are also not shown.
so either maybe an option to hide file- & foldernames seperately (with still remaining folderthumbs) or show the folder name instead of the folderthumbs, so no space is wasted.
or perfect would be like this with option to choose the font/size:

Image

is this possible?

User avatar
loth
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:21 pm
Location: Kölle

Post by loth » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 am

herr_k. wrote:great thanks.
through which criteria it is chosen which 4 thumbs are show on the folder?
i would like to see (in the context menu pressing right mouse over the foldertab) the choice also to rebuild the thumbs with the newest pictures in the folder (also automatic this would be a better solution for me).

alternativ it would be great if one could see the actual folder name over/inside the folder-icon, because i never use the labels like filename.. on the picturethumbs, but it is a little bit annoying, that automatically the foldernames are also not shown.
so either maybe an option to hide file- & foldernames seperately (with still remaining folderthumbs) or show the folder name instead of the folderthumbs, so no space is wasted.
or perfect would be like this with option to choose the font/size:

Image

is this possible?
i like your idea.
have a look at this thread http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
maybe you open a new one too.

Post Reply