No votes
No opinion
17%

Total votes: 18

xnview
Author of XnView

Menu structure as plain text file

Post by xnview »

Currently i don't see the benefit to have menu structure in text files used in future version for translation... It's not the most important feature to have...
But perhaps i'm wrong...

So what do you think?
Last edited by xnview on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre.
Troken

Post by Troken »

:? What? Im just a mere illustrator...
nightflyer

Post by nightflyer »

There should be an option for "Do this when there are no more important things".
I think the whole problem is too much inflated and there are more important things for us, users, to do in XnView.
Therefore I vote No opinion.
-=nightflyer=-
Danny

Post by Danny »

[X] No. Just get it right out of the box. Especially not, if it takes a lot of time and effort.
Get the bugs fixed, THEN start adding features. It sucks, but someone has to do it.
Stitscher

Post by Stitscher »

Yes
Icfu

Post by Icfu »

I don't understand the meaning of
1: As nothing would change for people who are happy with the default menu, calling it a bad idea is strange.
3: %appdata% is designed to be writable for normal users, what kind of access problems could be expected?
4: Users without an opinion are irrelevant. They eat what is served anyway.

So, the only option that makes sense is 2, as expected. ;)

Icfu
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Icfu wrote:I don't understand the meaning of
1: As nothing would change for people who are happy with the default menu, calling it a bad idea is strange.
I have not said that it's a bad idea :-)
3: %appdata% is designed to be writable for normal users, what kind of access problems could be expected?
No, the problem is company. They don't want (often) that users change anything in menu!!
Pierre.
Icfu

Post by Icfu »

I have not said that it's a bad idea
Well, not good means bad, right? ;)
No, the problem is company. They don't want (often) that users change anything in menu!!
Companies who don't want that user X does action Y are advised to restrict the user's rights. If admins are too stupid to do that, give them an option under HKLM\Software\XnView to restrict GUI customizations, like AllowCustomMenu=0. As HKLM isn't writable for normal users, users have no chance to manipulate their own working environment, if it's really needed...

This can even be made a per-user setting. ghisler does it like that in Total Commander, extraction from history.txt:

Code: Select all

13.11.05  Added: For admins: Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ghisler\Total Commander\configuration, add allowed (type string) and/or RestrictInterface (type DWORD) to restrict user options. The value will be combined with the value in the ini file (the more restricted wins)
In this case the admins of course have to restrict access rights to that key for every user they want to limit...

Icfu
Clo
XnThusiast

Admins can

Post by Clo »

—> Pierre

:) Good evening,

1. You didn't refer to the ORIGINAL THREAD (by wolfgangbeyer) from which the problem has been revealed by chance.
- Hence, the reader who lands here directly is not aware at all.

2. About “Restricted user's rights” :

• Finally, this' a fake argument¦pretext ! In a company where the workers have restricted rights,
they can get a consensus among colleagues if some item¦s suck¦s or is¦are missing for their jobs.
Then, they may ask to their Admins to change or add…
- It's indeed still possible to plan the case, like icfu Master at Registry points out above,
but even without any special entry to define custom users' rights,
the solution I express is valid, although it's no more than a workaround.
- Anyway, keeping a hard coded structure, even Admins are unable to modify anything,
and you would have to prepar a special version whether an important customer needs changes… No advantage for you :(

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
petermad

Post by petermad »

I can see only one answer to this poll - "Yes, i want to customize my menu"- if the author has the energy to implement it.