MP: Multiple Computers and Categories

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Koji

MP: Multiple Computers and Categories

Post by Koji »

I have been digging around and haven't come up with a solid answer so I will try to explain.

I have two computers, a desktop, and a laptop. With my desktop I have started to use the categories to start applying them to my photos and pictures which then gets added to the categories filter found usually on the left pane.
I have found out that I can export a .txt file which I carried to my laptop so now both XnViewMP on my laptop and desktop share the same tags. Yey.

But there is something in this mix that is missing as indeed it carried over the categories but all the associated pictures, which is on an external drive and is the same drive when used with the desktop, isn't showing the tags or categories that were assigned to them on the laptop.

I have read multiple threads and many of them talk about a database and updating a database and .db files. There are no .db files what so ever unless XnViewMP generates this file, it isn't in any documentation. Then I read something about INFP or what ever the term is, data and syncing that, but no pictures contain that data, just the tags from XnViewMP.

So to simply put it: How do I, if possible,
Use an external drive for pictures,
Carry that drive between two computers
while maintaining the tags/categories that were associated by XnViewMP on those pictures?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Erixx haxx

Re: Multiple Computers and Categories

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hi:
I have read multiple threads and many of them talk about a database and updating a database and .db files. There are no .db files what so ever unless XnViewMP generates
Quick answer is yes, it uses a .db file. Check Help>>About for location.

I have not used MP in this way, But in theory you can...
- Share the .db file with both clients, --- sql limits will apply, I believe the file is locked during writes.
- Map a drive letter and have both clients access photos their. --- This is so all photos have a same path. IE: Both clients see the pic at same path.

Their are a few post down, or maybe next page by now, some more ppl talking about this...

Maybe our friend XnTriq will show up with some links when he gets time to read your post.
Koji

Post by Koji »

Erixx haxx wrote:Hi:
I have read multiple threads and many of them talk about a database and updating a database and .db files. There are no .db files what so ever unless XnViewMP generates
Quick answer is yes, it uses a .db file. Check Help>>About for location.

I have not used MP in this way, But in theory you can...
- Share the .db file with both clients, --- sql limits will apply, I believe the file is locked during writes.
- Map a drive letter and have both clients access photos their. --- This is so all photos have a same path. IE: Both clients see the pic at same path.

Their are a few post down, or maybe next page by now, some more ppl talking about this...

Maybe our friend XnTriq will show up with some links when he gets time to read your post.
I have been looking for where XnView stored the .db file. I have seen it only mentioned twice digging around here and didn't know if I had to create it or what. Ok so I found the db file along with the .ini file. I am sure I have to change the ini file and put the db file on the external drive. Question is what other files are dependent as well and what line and I changing in the ini so XnView knows where to start looking?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Erixx haxx wrote:Maybe our friend XnTriq will show up with some links when he gets time to read your post.
Sorry for the delay! I'm still catching up :-\
Koji

Post by Koji »

Ok so I think I finally figured this one out. This is for Windows Users as I don't own a Mac.
To have a database shared between two computers, placing it on a drive shared by two computers is recommended. Or a folder which both computers can access like a server.

First copy the DB files, the files are located natually under C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\XnViewMP
where the user name is the name of your pc. Be sure that you have "Show Hidden Folders" Turned on. This can be easily done through your folder options under the Control Panel
http://imgur.com/hQ4XE1e

If the files aren't here, you might be able to find it by locating the INI file.
Open XnView. Now go under "Help > About" at the top. You will now see a new window.
http://imgur.com/a/yeCRy

You do not need to mess with any INI settings.

Once you located the folder, You can copy the entire folder as you might want to save your settings across two computers as well if you are the same user. Otherwise the DB file will suffice.
Simply copy the folder and paste it to another file location which will be shared. Typically an external HardDrive or a server.

Under the Cog (gear) on the Main Toolbar or under Tools>Settings, Click down the side menu to Intergration, a new window should now appear. Under here click on the Paths tab at the top. Under "Other Settings" is where you can then use the DropDown menue to click on Custom which indicates a custom directory path. Here where you see the ... you can specify the exact path your new database directory is located.
http://imgur.com/38UPDFk

When the db was originally created it might of had the DB referencing pictures on the drive, at least in my case since I wish to carry the pictures back and forth. The biggest issue is that on my main pc this drive was I:\\ and on my laptop this was D:\\ Which isn't good. To change this you will have to go under the control panel of your computer. Then locate administration tools. http://imgur.com/PeuORek

From there locate Computer Management http://imgur.com/aj0hmLE Locate the external drive and then right click you should now see a new menu and click on "Change Drive Letter and Paths" Set this to which ever letter was the original path for your first PC. In my case this was I:\\

Now you should be all set.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thank you very much for this tutorial, Koji :D