How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScript!

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

minkowski

Re: How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScr

Post by minkowski »

True, yet I still am very discontent since it displays text files incorrectly, unreadable
helmut

Post by helmut »

minkowski wrote:True, yet I still am very discontent since it displays text files incorrectly, unreadable
High quality zooming
Are the text files unreadable when they are reduced in size (zoomed out)? If yes, make sure you activate Menu "Tools > Options" | Category "View" | Panel "Highquality Zoom" | Checkbox "Reduce"

High(er) resolution
Is resolution not fine enough? If yes, then you can adjust resolution in Menu "Tools > Options" | Category "General > Read/Write" | Tab "Read" | Edittext "DPI". Set a higher dpi value, e.g. 200.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

I tried to open a PDF file today in XnView 1.98.2 never thinking that PDF would be a problem at this stage of the game. But, I got an error message "AFPL Ghostscript is not found on your system. please download it on http://www.ghostscript.com"

At ghostscript.com, I was/am totally confused about which version to use since there does not seem to be one called AFPL. The HELP wiki has no entries for AFPL or Ghostscript. So, here I am - reading a thread that started in 2004 and has a few recent entries.

I'm still confused - is GPL Ghostscript the one to use for the current version of XnView?
If so, then how do I decide on 32 bit vs 64 bit. My OS is Win 7 64 bit, but I seem to remember reading that XnView is a 32 bit application.

I suggest that the error message box be updated and an entry be added to the HELP Wiki (I'd do it if only I knew what to write) :)

Please advise - thanks in advance.
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Try the downloads here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostsc ... ript/8.54/

I would start with 32bit, and if it does not work with 64bit. If it does not work you can de-install it.

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Thanks - the 32 bit version worked just fine.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Two questions come to my mind when updating the initial FAQ post:
- Will XnView MP (Windows) 64-bit work with AGPL Ghostscript 64-bit?
- Does XnView MP (Linux) 64-bit work with AGPL Ghostscript 64-bit?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

[color=#80BF00]helmut[/color] wrote:
Will XnView MP (Windows) 64-bit work with AGPL Ghostscript 64-bit?
Yes -- Tested XnViewMP 0.61 x64 + Ghostscript 9.10 x64

On Windows x32 -- use Ghostscript x32 for XnView and XnViewMP 32-bit
On Windows x64 -- use Ghostscript x32 for XnView and XnViewMP 32-bit, use Ghostscript x64 for XnViewMP 64-bit

Download from http://www.ghostscript.com or other sources.

Has anyone tested XnViewMP (Linux) 64-bit with AGPL Ghostscript 64-bit?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for checking and confirming, cday.

Would be really interesting to know whether XnView MP (Linux) 64-bit runs with AGPL Ghostscript 64-bit.
Ian_XnView

Re: How to display vector formats like PDF, AI,...? GhostScript!

Post by Ian_XnView »

While fiddling with other aspects of this topic, I also found the need to tick a box in Options...
Tools, Options, File List, on the "File List" tab (main part of the dialogue window has two tabs) in the column "Show as thumbnail" at intersection with row AI, PS, PDF ... tick there. I did this and then they appeared.
I had previously been experimenting with GhostScript 32 bit and 64 bit so both are now in my system.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

There's now also a page dedicated to Ghostscript on the the XnView wiki.
Kwith

Post by Kwith »

My two additional observations regarding successful PDF thumbnail preview in XnViewMP and XnView Classic are

1. Thumbnail caching must be on (please note: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1228 says "For these formats thumbnails are not displayed because of performance reasons.")

2. XnView Classic needs ghostscript x86 and XnViewMP needs ghostscript x64, but with v9.xx.x they must be different versions

Confirmed with XnView Classic v2.50 and XnViewMP v0.98.4, and ghostscript 9.54.0 / ghostscript 9.53.3 x86 on Win10 2004 x64.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnView Classic which is 32-bit software needs 32-bit Ghostscript, but for XnView MP the 64-bit version needs the 64-bit version, but anyone using the 32-bit version needs 32-bit Ghostscript even on Windows 64-bit.

That you for posting compatible versions for the current XnView versions, these several recent changes in Ghostscript which have broken compatibiliy have been an absolute pain... :(
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thank you, Kwith!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Kwith wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm XnView Classic needs ghostscript x86 and XnViewMP needs ghostscript x64, but with v9.xx.x they must be different versions
Please note that XnView MP x64 needs ghostscript x64, but XnView MP x32 needs ghostscript x32 even on Windows x64...

confirmed with XnView Classic v2.50 and XnViewMP v0.98.4, and ghostscript 9.54.0 / ghostscript 9.53.3 x86 on Win10 2004 x64.
Yes, the several recent changes to Ghostscript that have each time broken compatibility with XnView software have been an absolute pain... :(

Similarly for XnConvert.