XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

thire

Post by thire »

in http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3666 you, Pierre, anounced that you will start devloppemnt in august 2006. So perhaps you will finish it versus the end of this year? Still very long to go, but XnView is wonderful...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

thire wrote:in http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3666 you, Pierre, anounced that you will start devloppemnt in august 2006. So perhaps you will finish it versus the end of this year? Still very long to go, but XnView is wonderful...
Yes, but i have no free time currently to work on this version...
Pierre.
thire

Post by thire »

Just to get feedback: Do you think that you will have the time to look a bit after the Linux version?
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

Any news Pierre?
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote:Any news Pierre?
Yes i'll work on linux version after :-)
Pierre.
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

What about the features?
Will the Unix version have most /all/some of the Windows version features? :D
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

VuDu wrote:What about the features?
Will the Unix version have most /all/some of the Windows version features? :D
It's hard to know currently :-)
Pierre.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Just a question : Why not using Java instead ? Write once, run it everywhere with same functionnalities.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

hybrid wrote:Just a question : Why not using Java instead ? Write once, run it everywhere with same functionnalities.
I don't like Java, and Java is too slow...
Pierre.
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

I'm not in love with java too but I must admit that it is robust and it works everywhere.
Concerning speed .. well ... jvm are not so slow now.

Anyway, you code the way you like ;)
Schattenreiter

Post by Schattenreiter »

Java does not work everywhere. At least, not always in the same way. :)

And it's happy to crash in it's own time, too. :mrgreen:
HackIntosh
Mountain Lion 10.8.2G530GA-Z77M-D3HSapphire 5770Soundblaster Audigy Platinum16GB-1333-DDR3Atheros AR9280
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

Any news on the development?

I'm really looking forward to this, cause there's nothing on Linux near to what XnView is on Windows.
Dbug

Post by Dbug »

I agree on this:
- Not using Wxwidgets
- Not using Java (I appreciate XnView because it is fast on whatever machine I run it. If it get slower I will probably switch to some other image viewer/batch converter)
- No opinion on the motif/qt choice. If QT makes the cross platforme developpement easier, then go for it :)

About the importance of the Linux version compared to the Windows one, well I guess that the author of the program should consider a quite important phenomenom: Recently, a lot of people has been considering switching from Windows to either linux (mostly Ubuntu variants ?) or MacOS, mostly because either Vista does not appeal to people (huge hardware requirements, very restrictive licencing scheme).

I've been myself using Windows as my only operating system since about 1996, successfully using 95, 98 OSR2, and Windows 2000 Pro. I use Windows XP at work... and I installed an Ubuntu on my laptop to evaluate the "feasability of switching to Linux seriously).

I have to admit that so far I'm quite impressed by what I saw, it detected all my hardware, works fine, boots and shutdown fast, autoupdate works nicely. The really negative point is that I do not manage to get all my windows applications running on it.

So well, I would be very very happy to find XnView in the "Synaptic" update manager list, because the install scripts are not really the kind of thing I like (I like to just "select/download/get it to install without any question"), and the RPM thing does not work on Ubuntu.

So well in short, if you do such a version, and get it available in the list of installable package for Ubuntu, I can predict a huge number of downloads because the existing picture viewers I checked are really, really crap.

(And XnView is the only one that can display legacy Atari, Oric, Amiga picture formats :mrgreen: )
VuDu

Post by VuDu »

I make those words, mine too ;)

I've already switch to Linux, but now I'm still looking for some software and besides digiKam, there's nothing compared to Xnview on Linux.
raducoc

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by raducoc »

xnview wrote:
karci wrote:Hi,

just wondering if there are some plans to create the Linux version for 1.80... or basically any version that would use GTK 2.
No i don't think, but currently i think about a version with QT
Yes! This will be great! I cant wait! I installed linux (Kubuntu 6.10) on my machine and Im missing XnView from winXP. :(