XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on all Un*x platforms (Linux, HP-UX, AIX, ...)

Moderators: helmut, XnTriq, xnview

karci

XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by karci »

Hi,

just wondering if there are some plans to create the Linux version for 1.80... or basically any version that would use GTK 2.

Thanks!
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37751
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by xnview »

karci wrote:Hi,

just wondering if there are some plans to create the Linux version for 1.80... or basically any version that would use GTK 2.
No i don't think, but currently i think about a version with QT
Pierre.
oliwer

Post by oliwer »

Better keep Motif than switching to Qt... :evil:
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37751
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Post by xnview »

oliwer wrote:Better keep Motif than switching to Qt... :evil:
Motif is too old, but xnview for Motif will be always available
Pierre.
mxp

Post by mxp »

xnview wrote:
oliwer wrote:Better keep Motif than switching to Qt... :evil:
Motif is too old, but xnview for Motif will be always available
That's good to hear, because as a user I actually like Motif UIs: they're simple, lightweight and get the job done.
eskej

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by eskej »

xnview wrote: No i don't think, but currently i think about a version with QT
IMHO GTK2 would be better
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37751
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by xnview »

eskej wrote:
xnview wrote: No i don't think, but currently i think about a version with QT
IMHO GTK2 would be better
But not Multi OS
Pierre.
User avatar
Remi
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: France, Champagne

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by Remi »

xnview wrote:But not Multi OS
Does it mean All versions (including Windows and Linux one) will be QT made ?
And that the versions will be the same for all the OS supporting QT ?

Cordialy.
-------------------------------------------------------
La communauté française Fedora : http://www.fedora-france.org/
Des RPM pour FC : http://remi.collet.free.fr/
Guest

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by Guest »

Remi wrote:
xnview wrote:But not Multi OS
Does it mean All versions (including Windows and Linux one) will be QT made ?
And that the versions will be the same for all the OS supporting QT ?
Only Pierre knows it, of course, but I think so, yes. And it sounds reasonable because that's basically what Qt does. Qt is also a nice toolkit for X11 only, but multi-platform support from the same source code is THE Qt feature.

I don't do any multi-platform development myself, but I can imagine that it must be quite frustrating to write the same code multiple times for Win32+Motif or Win32+GTK or X+Y or whatever.
loufoque

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by loufoque »

xnview wrote:
eskej wrote:
xnview wrote: No i don't think, but currently i think about a version with QT
IMHO GTK2 would be better
But not Multi OS
Then use wxwidgets.
User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 37751
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by xnview »

loufoque wrote:
xnview wrote:
eskej wrote: IMHO GTK2 would be better
But not Multi OS
Then use wxwidgets.
i don't like wxwidgets :-)
Pierre.
lemmit
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by lemmit »

xnview wrote:i don't like wxwidgets :-)
Go with QT, Pierre. It's a shame when an excellent program like XnView looks as bad as motif does. And I have not seen a single program in wxwidgets that actually looks nice either :(
britbrian

Re: XnView 1.80 for Linux?

Post by britbrian »

I love the Windows ver of XnView and am trying to only boot Linux so a QT multiplatform QT port would be fantastic.

great work Pierre

britbrian
wojtek79

Post by wojtek79 »

In my opion Xnview is the best photo viewer but Linux version looks awful and I have to click very fast (I don't know why). It's the worst looking picture viewer on Linux platform so I don't use it. I'd like to buy it, but appearance must be improved :evil:
thire
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:26 am

Post by thire »

wojtek79 wrote:In my opion Xnview is the best photo viewer but Linux version looks awful and I have to click very fast (I don't know why). It's the worst looking picture viewer on Linux platform so I don't use it.
I share this opinion.
I love XnView, as I know it from Windows. Now I installed Ubuntu (wonderful), but I miss the real thing (XnView) there...
Any future plans/hopes you can share with us?